All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffers an in-depth introduction to political, cultural, and intellectual history. Updated with more recent scholarship, this eleventh edition retains many popular features that help readers absorb and understand the material, including comparative timelines, full-color art essays, and profile and primary source boxes in each chapter.
- Author BiographyMarvin Perry, now retired, taught history at Baruch College, City University of New York. He has published several successful Cengage Learning texts, including WESTERN CIVILIZATION: IDEAS, POLITICS, AND SOCIETY (senior author and general editor); WESTERN CIVILIZATION: A BRIEF HISTORY; the leading Western Civilization reader, SOURCES OF THE WESTERN TRADITION; AN INTELLECTUAL HISTORY OF MODERN EUROPE; SOURCES OF EUROPEAN HISTORY SINCE 1900 (senior editor); HUMANITIES IN THE WESTERN TRADITION (senior author and general editor); and WORLD WAR II IN EUROPE: A CONCISE HISTORY. His scholarly work includes ARNOLD TOYNBEE AND THE WESTERN TRADITION (1996); coauthor of ANTISEMITISM: MYTH AND HATE FROM ANTIQUITY TO THE PRESENT (2002); coeditor of ANTISEMITIC MYTHS: A HISTORICAL AND CONTEMPORARY ANTHOLOGY (2008); and coeditor of THE THEORY AND PRACTICE OF ISLAMIC TERRORISM: AN ANTHOLOGY (2008). Dr. Perry's scholarly work focuses on the history of ideas. Margaret C. Jacob is a well-known scholar in early modern European history, and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Her most recent book is THE FIRST KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY. HUMAN CAPITAL AND EUROPEAN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT 1750-1850. She currently teaches in the history department at UCLA. Her publications include: THE NEWTONIANS AND THE ENGLISH REVOLUTION (1978) and THE RADICAL ENLIGHTENMENT: PANTHEISTS, FREEMASONS, AND THE SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION (1981). James R. and Margaret C. Jacob have jointly edited THE ORIGINS OF ANGLO-AMERICAN RADICALISM (1983). As co-author of the Cengage Learning text WESTERN CIVILIZATION: IDEAS, POLITICS, AND SOCIETY she contributes the chapters on the Reformation, the National State, the Scientific Revolution, and the Enlightenment. James R. Jacob was Professor of History (now retired) at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY. His publications include ROBERT BOYLE AND THE ENGLISH REVOLUTION (1978) and HENRY STUBBE: RADICAL PROTESTANTISM AND THE EARLY ENLIGHTENMENT (1983). James R. and Margaret C. Jacob have jointly edited THE ORIGINS OF ANGLO-AMERICAN RADICALISM (1983). As co-author of the Cengage Learning text WESTERN CIVILIZATION: IDEAS, POLITICS, AND SOCIETY he contributes the chapters on the Renaissance and European Expansion. Myrna Chase, emerita professor, dean of liberal arts, and provost of Baruch College, City University of New York, is a specialist in 19th and 20th century western European history, with a special interest in England and France and the history of political and social ideas. She published ELIE HALEVY: AN INTELLECTUAL BIOGRAPHY (1980). As co-author of the Cengage Learning text WESTERN CIVILIZATION: IDEAS, POLITICS, AND SOCIETY she contributes the chapters on the Industrial Revolution, the Industrial West, and Imperialism. Jonathan Daly is Professor of History at the University of Illinois at Chicago. His publications include: AUTOCRACY UNDER SIEGE: SECURITY POLICE AND OPPOSITION IN RUSSIA, 1866-1905 (1998); THE WATCHFUL STATE: SECURITY POLICE AND OPPOSITION IN RUSSIA, 1906-1917 (2004); co-editor of RUSSIA IN WAR AND REVOLUTION, 1914-1922: A DOCUMENTARY HISTORY (2009); THE RISE OF WESTERN POWER: A COMPARATIVE HISTORY OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION (2014); and HISTORIANS DEBATE THE RISE OF THE WEST (2014). As co-author of the Cengage Learning text WESTERN CIVILIZATION: IDEAS, POLITICS, AND SOCIETY, he contributes to the chapters on the Contemporary World.
- Author(s)James Jacob,Jonathan Daly,Margaret Jacob,Marvin Perry,Myrna Chase,Theodore H. Von Laue
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication03/10/2014
- GenreHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationMason, OH
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCENGAGE Learning Custom Publishing
- Weight885 g
- Width188 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement11th edition
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £28.33Trending at £31.72
- £9.50Trending at £10.75
- £14.72Trending at £20.17
- £25.51Trending at £37.33
- £14.30Trending at £16.58
- £11.18Trending at £14.99
- £12.89Trending at £14.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.