Consider these sponsored items
- £28.76Was:£31.95Free postage
- £29.99Free postage
All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication07/07/2013
- GenreMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note3 line illus. 1 table.
- Weight624 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edited byAdriana Petryna,Joao Biehl
- Table Of ContentsCritical Global Health, Joao Biehl and Adriana Petryna 1 I EVIDENCE Overview 23 1A Return to the Magic Bullet? Malaria and Global Health in the Twenty-First Century, Marcos Cueto 30 2Evidence-Based Global Public Health - Subjects, Profits, Erasures, Vincanne Adams 54 3The Right to Know or Know Your Rights ? Human Rights and a People-Centered Approach to Health Policy, Joseph J. Amon 91 4Children as Victims - The Moral Economy of Childhood in the Times of AIDS, Didier Fassin 109 II INTERVENTIONS Overview 133 5Therapeutic Clientship - Belonging in Uganda's Projectified Landscape of AIDS Care, Susan Reynolds Whyte, Michael A. Whyte, Lotte Meinert, and Jenipher Twebaze 140 6The Struggle for a Public Sector - PEPFAR in Mozambique, James Pfeiffer 166 7The Next Epidemic - Pain and the Politics of Relief in Botswana's Cancer Ward, Julie Livingston 182 8A Salvage Ethnography of the Guinea Worm - Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic in a Disease Eradication Program, Amy Moran-Thomas 207 III MARKETS Overview 243 9Public-Private Mixes - The Market for Anti-Tuberculosis Drugs in India, Stefan Ecks and Ian Harper 252 10Labor Instability and Community Mental Health - The Work of Pharmaceuticals in Santiago, Chile, Clara Han 276 11The Ascetic Subject of Compliance - The Turn to Chronic Diseases in Global Health, Ian Whitmarsh 302 12Legal Remedies - Therapeutic Markets and the Judicialization of the Right to Health, Joao Biehl and Adriana Petryna 325 Afterword - The Peopling of Technologies, Michael M. J. Fischer 347 Contributors 375 Acknowledgments 381 References 385 Index 425
- Author BiographyJoao Biehl is the Susan Dod Brown Professor of Anthropology at Princeton University. He is the author of Vita: Life in a Zone of Social Abandonment and Will to Live: AIDS Therapies and the Politics of Survival (Princeton). Adriana Petryna is the Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor in Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania. She is the author of Life Exposed: Biological Citizens after Chernobyl and When Experiments Travel: Clinical Trials and the Global Search for Human Subjects (both Princeton).
Best-selling in Health, Treatments & Medicine
Save on Health, Treatments & Medicine
- £25.67Trending at £27.19
- £134.20Trending at £159.99
- £25.99Trending at £28.49
- £22.36Trending at £24.28
- £43.13Trending at £46.00
- £23.28Trending at £37.99
- £10.33Trending at £14.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.