All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Neil Richardson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- GenreChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight355 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Table Of ContentsForeword Introduction: Why This Book? i) That strange word 'God' ii) 'There is no God'? iii) God and gods iv) The God of the Bible Conclusion Seven Steps Towards Reading the Bible Chapter One: Beginnings: God of Creation i) God of Beginnings ii) Human Beings and God iii) The Question of God's Patience iv) Beginning Again: Abraham, Friend of God Summary Chapter Two: Moses, Joshua and the Violence of God i) God the Terrorist? ii) 'Divine' Massacres, Ancient and Modern iii) Divine Cruelty to Dumb Animals? iv) A Choosy 'Jealous' God Summary Interlude (1): Is the Bible No Longer Trustworthy? Chapter Three: Through the Darkest Night i) Why did God Allow This to Happen? ii) Towards Belief in One God iii) The 'Judgements' of God in History iv) Wrath: God's Dark Side or Ours? Summary Chapter Four God: A 'You' Rather Than an 'It' i) An Awesomely Consistent 'You' ii) An Always and Everywhere 'You' iii) An Elusive (and Cruel?) You iv) 'My God', 'Our God Summary Interlude 2 Is the God of the Old Testament Different from the God of the New? Chapter Five: Jesus and the God of the Bible: i) Jesus and the Question of God ii) The Strange Things Jesus Said about God iii) Not a God for Religious People iv) The Meaning of the Virgin Birth Summary Chapter Six: Paul: the God Who Crossed Boundaries i) God on the Damascus Road ii) Jesus in Our Place and in God's Place iii) Some Contemporary Problems with Paul's God iv) 'To the Church of God in Corinth' Summary Chapter Seven: 'John's' Witness to God i) 'John' and God ii) Still a Violent God? The Book of Revelation iii) God in the End iv) The Bible's Climax: the First Letter of John Summary Summary of Summaries Conclusion: Who on Earth is God? A Personal Postscript
- Author BiographyNeil Richardson was Tutor in New Testament Studies and later Principal of Wesley College, Bristol, UK. He served as President of the British Methodist Conference in 2003-2004.
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £9.22Trending at £16.98
- £9.50Trending at £10.72
- £14.72Trending at £19.96
- £25.51Trending at £37.24
- £14.30Trending at £16.54
- £11.18Trending at £14.98
- £8.50Trending at £10.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.