All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)John W. Miller,Michael C. McKenna
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2016
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 13 black & white tables
- Weight317 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Table Of ContentsContents Preface Chapter 1 Keys to the Kingdom: The Long Struggle for Literacy Chapter 2 What Is Literacy? The Challenge of Framing the Problem Chapter 3 The Rise and Decline of Measured Reading Ability - National Winners and Losers Chapter 4 The Crisis of Elementary Schooling - Literacy's Training Ground Chapter 5 The Crisis of Secondary and Post-Secondary Schooling - Literacy's Practice Field and Proving Ground Chapter 6 Supporting Literate Cultures - The Past, Present, and Future of Libraries, Bookstores, and Newspapers Chapter 7 Skill versus Will: Important Lessons for Policy Chapter 8 Are Books Obsolete? Examining Trends in Media Use Chapter 9 Overcoming the SES/Literacy Relationships - Making Exceptions the Rule Chapter 10 The Future of the Knowledge-Based Economy and Change in the World Order
- Author BiographyJohn W. (Jack) Miller is President of Central Connecticut State University, USA. His work has been funded by state, federal, and private agencies, including the Department of Defense, the Department of Education, Bell South Foundation, and the Foundation for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education. He conducts a widely disseminated annual study of America's Most Literate Cities. Michael C. McKenna is Thomas G. Jewell Professor of Reading at the University of Virginia, USA. His research has been sponsored by the National Reading Research Center (NRRC) and the Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement (CIERA). He is the co-winner of the Edward Fry Book Award and the American Library Association's Award for Outstanding Academic Books.
Save on Language
- £41.26Trending at £51.89
- £25.94Trending at £32.26
- £10.50Trending at £17.59
- £13.70Trending at £17.09
- £23.27Trending at £28.99
- £29.73Trending at £32.17
- £25.45Trending at £30.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.