eBay is a great place to buy abstract limited edition modern prints. Whether the buyer is an art collector, just an enthusiast or simply looking to spice up their home with a nice piece of art, eBay is a fantastic resource for buying abstract limited edition modern prints.
The purpose of this guide is to inform potential buyers about abstract limited edition modern prints and explain how to purchase them from auction-based website eBay.
Prints are produced using printmaking techniques. Printmaking is the process of making art by printing images usually onto pieces of paper or blank canvas. The process can produce multiples of the same piece known as a print (sometimes also known as an impression).
Each print produced is considered an ‘original’ and not a ‘copy’. This is due to each print varying because of the fundamental variables in the printmaking process and because the imagery of a print is not just a reproduction of another piece of artwork, it is often a unique image designed from the beginning to be expressed in a certain printmaking method.
Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. Abstract art utilises a visual language of colour, line and form to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.
A Brief History of Abstract art
From the Renaissance to the mid-19th century, Western art had been stemmed from the logic of perspective and an attempt to reproduce an illusion of visible reality. Arts from other non-European cultures had become accessible and expressed different ways of describing visual experiences to the artist.
By the end of the 19th century, many artists worldwide felt there was a need for a new kind of art which encompassed the fundamental changes of the time including science, philosophy and technology. The art created drew upon social and intellectual concerns of all elements of Western culture.
Limited Edition Prints
Unlike paintings, print artists usually produce a ‘run’ of many pieces from the original media (matrix or screen). These runs are either open-ended or limited to a certain number of prints. Multiple impressions printed using the same matrix form an edition.
Since the late 19th century, print artists have signed and numbered individual prints from an edition to form what is known as a limited edition. Limited edition pieces are collectibles and the smaller the number of runs and the lower the number of the piece in the run, the more valuable the print will be.
Abstract Limited Edition Modern Prints
The term ‘abstract’ in abstract limited edition modern prints refers to the artistic style of the print. But there are many different styles of modern prints from engraving and etching to aquatint and mezzotint:
- Digital (Pigment & dye-based inks, Giclee)
- Foil Imaging
Prints are composed by transferring ink or paint from a matrix or through a prepared screen (silk or synthetic fabric) onto a sheet of paper or canvas. Matrices range from metal plates made from zinc or copper to polymer plates (in engraving and etching) and blocks of wood (in woodcutting and engraving).
Which Type of Print?
- There are many different styles of abstract limited edition modern prints to choose from. However these styles can be organised into four categories devised by the production method involved to produce them: relief, intaglio, stencil and planographic.
- Relief prints (such as woodcuts and engravings) are created using a raised surface place underneath the paper or canvas.
- Intaglio prints are printed onto paper from a recessed or buried design and include engravings, etchings, mezzotints and aquatints.
- Stencil prints involve paint or ink being pressed through a prepared screen like screen-print.
- The fourth category of print type is planographic and is where an image is printed from a matrix or flat surface and includes lithograph prints.
What to Look for When Purchasing Prints
- There are many factors to take into account and consider when purchasing abstract limited edition modern print. However there are additional features that the buyer should be aware of and looking for when shopping for abstract limited edition modern prints.
- In many prints, especially modern prints, it is common practice for the artist to make markings containing important information about the piece of art. Markings can include anything from initials drawn on the side to numerical figures etched on the back. These markings which help (correctly) identify the piece can influence an abstract limited edition modern print substantially.
- Initials of course relate to the artists name although in some cases this can often indicate the name of the print’s edition. Other markings such as numbers can indicate the number of the print. For example, a marking of ‘1/25’ means that piece is the first piece of a run of 25- this print would often be considered the most valuable print in that run or edition.
- It is essential to look out for these markings when purchasing prints as this information can provide a better idea about the piece which in turn can increase the value of it.
How to Buy Abstract Limited Edition Modern Prints From eBay
- Purchasing abstract limited edition modern prints from eBay is simple. Should the buyer be seeking to purchase an abstract engraving or etching, a monotype or monoprint, a digital or a drypoint print, eBay has a vast range of abstract limited edition modern prints to suit everyone’s needs.
- You don’t have to visit auctions or art galleries to purchase some abstract limited edition modern prints, you can shop and surf the internet in the luxury of one’s own home. Thanks to renowned ecommerce websites like eBay, there is a wealthy selection of abstract limited edition modern prints available to purchase online. To find your desired print by category, just visit eBay’s Art shop, click on Prints and then select Modern Prints and search through the results generated.
- Shoppers can also search for the sought-after print by using the search function (and advanced function for more specific requests). Simply type in the: name, artist or style of the print to generate the search results page. Once there just click on the relevant search result to be taken to that products individual listings page.
- Each product has an individual listings page displaying all the relevant information associated with that product. The information provided can include a detailed specification, a product analysis, and comments about the items condition as well as photographs of the chosen item.
- As such an authoritative name within the ecommerce market, eBay also provides information relating to the products seller. Information such as the seller’s history, eBay rating and location are made publically available. The location of the seller is chiefly useful as the buyer can determine whether it’s best to pick the item up or to pay to have it delivered to the door.
- If the shopper still has a question about the item, they can always contact the seller themselves and ask any questions or queries that they may have about the item.
- Should the shopper experience any other issues or difficulties when shopping or using eBay, there is a comprehensive help service available to help those who require it.
- With a safe and secure payment scheme as well as the most competitive pricing found on the internet, eBay is the best place to buy artwork. eBay also offers the customer a choice over paying for its items; either to buy immediately (Buy Now) or to bid for an item (Bid Now) attempting to get the best price available.
- Not only is eBay the premier place to shop online because of its great range of products on offer, the website presents the most competitive pricing and the best range of products online.
- All transactions made on eBay are safe and secure thanks to third party payment scheme PayPal. PayPal enables you to pay the seller without them ever knowing your important bank details and information. The secure payment authority protects buyers 100% against unauthorised payments from their accounts providing complete peace of mind for all parties on eBay.
- And in the event that any buyer has any problems with any sellers on eBay that cannot be solved between them, they can open a case with the eBay administration team who will help assist you in making a claim. Buyers can also contact the eBay team immediately in such circumstances.
There are many factors to think about when purchasing abstract limited edition modern prints. However with the important information and considerations outlined within this guide, buying abstract limited edition modern prints is easy. Abstract limited edition modern prints are not just pieces of art to hang in your home; they are beautiful pieces of art to collect or invest in for many years to come.
This guide has provided some invaluable hints, tips, and information on how to purchase this specific art type on eBay and what to look for when buying these products.