Combination bets refer to a selection of multiple bets placed on a series of selections. Different multiple bets are combined to cover a number of contingencies, allowing punters to hedge their bets when placing accumulators. Combination bets can include the use of singles, doubles, trebles and accumulators.
Sportsbooks offer a selection of standard formats for combination bets which cover all the possible double, treble and accumulator combinations for a given set of selections. These are known as full cover bets and include:
- Trixie: A combination bet placed on 3 different selections, featuring four separate bets: three doubles and a treble
- Yankee: A combination bet on 4 different selections, featuring 11 separate bets: 6 doubles, four trebles and a fourfold accumulator
- Super Yankee: A combination bet on 5 different selections, featuring 26 separate bets including: 10 doubles, 10 trebles, 5 fourfold accumulators and a fivefold accumulator
- Heinz: A combination bet on 6 different selections, featuring 57 separate bets including: 15 doubles, 20 trebles, 15 fourfolds, 6 fivefolds and a sixfold accumulator
- Super Heinz: A combination bet on 7 different selections, featuring 120 separate bets including: 21 doubles, 35 trebles, 35 fourfolds, 21 fivefolds, 7 sixfolds and sevenfold accumulator
- Goliath: A combination bet on 8 different selections, featuring 247 separate bets including: 28 doubles, 56 trebles, 70 fourfolds, 56 fivefolds, 28 sixfolds, 8 sevenfolds and an eightfold accumulator
Full cover bets are also offered with singles, and include:
- Patent: Equivalent to a Trixie with 3 singles.
- Lucky 15: Equivalent to a Yankee with 4 singles.
- Lucky 31: Equivalent to a Yankee with 5 singles.
- Lucky 63: Equivalent to a Heinz with 6 singles.
While the combination of different bets in combination bets looks bewildering, these bets are very easy to place when using online sportsbooks. As additional selections are added to a betting slip, each of these combination betting options will become available. The minimum stake and maximum payout for each multiple bet is calculated automatically by the betting slip, and the progress of these bets are easy to track in online accounts.