At present, only a small proportion of households in the UK own a dishwasher. Whilst most dishwasers are built-in there is a wide range of freestanding units on the market. As more and more people are purchasing dishwashers they are a lot more affordable and now also come in a range of sizes.
Reasons for buying a Dishwasher
The last rinse temperature is around 65-69 degrees celsius, which means that dishes and cutlery are virtually sterile. There is also no need to use a tea towel, which is a major 'germ trap'.
Because temperatures are higher, detergentes are more effective and the wash & rinsing systems are far more superior compared to hand washing. Dishes are not only cleaner - they look good too.
Keeps the kitchen tidy
The dishwasher is a superb storage unit that keeps dirty dishes out of sight and the kitchen looking cleaner and tidier.
Dishwashers use less electricity and water compared with hand washing.
It takes just five minutes to load a dishwasher and there is no drying required. In fact research shows that you can save over 300 hours per year using a dishwasher!
There are a wide variety of freestanding dishwashers available from a range of manufacturers, which span a wide selection of prices for all budgets.
- FULL SIZE - The 60cm wide dishwasher is the most popular size. It can take 12 - 14 place settings. One place setting is typically 10 pieces of crockery & Cutlery
- SLIMLINE - These are 45cm wide and can take 7 - 8 place settings. Ideal for the small kitchen or only a small number of people in the household.
- COMPACT - These are small enough to stand on a worktop and are ideal if you have no floor space. They can take about 4 place settings.
These are the most popular type of dishwasher on the market and available in three main types
- FULLY INTEGRATED - These are ready to be fitted with a door front (supplied by the kitchen manufacturer) to match the kitchen furniture. The door covers the whole front of the dishwasher, with the control panel concealed neatly on the inside of the top rim of the dishwasher door. They are available in Full size and Slimline.
- SEMI INTREGATED - This takes a kitchen door up to the drawer line height. Infill panels are usually supplied to match the drawer line of the kitchen.
- IN-COLUMN - This is built in at chest height so that it can be loaded and emptied without bending down.
Most basic dishwashers offer four programmes that span usually one or more temperatures including a normal 65 degrees celsius.
More sophisticated dishwashers can offer up to six, eight or even ten programmes, and more wash temperatures, offering more flexibility and choice. These may include:
- Cold pre-wash
- Half wash
- Gentle Wash
- Light Wash
- Intensive Wash
- Glass care wash
- SALT - This is essential in hard water areas to ensure that the water softening unit functions correctly. If salt is not used then mineral deposits can be left on the dishes.
- SALT REGERATION SYSTEM - Models with this system, once set, can circulate when salt needs regenerating, thus saving up to 30% in salt consumption.
- RINSE AGENT - This is what makes glasses, cutlery and china sparkle. During the final hot rinse a tiny amount is automatically released. By breaking the surface tension of the water, it prevents water droplets from clinging to tableware.
At Value-Electrical.co.uk we are able to supply you with a substantial choice of dishwashers from Table top, slimline to commercial Dishwashers.