Human beings have been living in buildings for thousands of years. They provide undeniable benefits, such as warmth, shelter and familiarity, which we need to feel secure and stable. However, they can also be constricting and stifling. Windows were invented and implemented to counter that stifling.
However, windows too have downsides; potential loss of heat being one, and letting in light when it is not wanted being another. Curtains counter these downsides. Many homeowners will elect to create their own curtains from curtain fabrics, as the experience can be rewarding, and the hands-on approach allows a more personal touch.
This guide intends to inform the reader about double-lined curtain fabrics, and why they represent the ultimate in efficient and modern curtain design. Further, this guide will explore the ways in which eBay, the popular auctioning website, is well suited to shopping for double-lined curtain fabric.
What are Double-lined Curtains?
Curtains are large patches of material, which are suspended by a rail over the window of a room. The rail allows them to be moved across the window, blocking it off, at times when the homeowner wishes to keep out light, desires privacy or is cold. Curtains are available in an almost limitless array of patterns and colours, to suit any tastes.
Curtains consist of two separate swaths of material, which combine to make the curtain fabric. These are the one that faces the room and bears the design, and the one that is stitched into the outer fabric, known as the inner lining. A double-lined curtain is a curtain that contains another strip of material, sandwiched between the outer material and inner linings. This has numerous advantages, as explored below.
Why Double-lined Curtains?
There are numerous advantages that double-lined curtain fabric has over regular curtain fabrics, as well as one or two disadvantages. This section will detail these advantages and disadvantages in great detail.
First, the advantages:
- Double-lined curtain fabric, as mentioned above, features an additional layer of material. This reinforces it, making it both thicker and denser. These changes in the structure allow less heat energy to escape from the room and through the window. This results in the room remaining warmer when the curtains are closed. Houses will, as a result, require less heat to be channelled through them to stay warm. This results in lower heating bills and a warmer house, which are definite advantages.
- Double-lined curtain fabric’s extra thickness acts as a barrier of sorts in another important way. One of the many purposes of curtains is to prevent light from the outside from entering the room and disturbing the sleep of the occupant. Curtains will never be able to stop all of the sun-light from entering a room. However, the amount of light blocked is directly proportional to how thick the material is, and thus how difficult it is for the light to get through. Whilst regular curtains will only block a certain amount of light, double-lined curtains will block more, because they are thicker.
- The extra material included in double-lined curtains has another important effect: it strengthens the curtains. Regular curtains, being either one or two sheets of material, are relatively frail, and thus comparatively susceptible to damage, wear and tear. Double-lined curtains have the extra material within them, which grants extra structural integrity to the fabric, and thus reduces the likelihood of breaking.
The disadvantages are as listed below:
- Adding an extra layer of fabric, whilst performing many admirable functions, increases the weight of the curtains. This makes them more difficult to hang in place and transport
- The level of difficulty involved in sewing double-lined fabric into functional curtains is also far higher than that of sewing regular curtain fabric into shape. This is because the extra layer makes the fabric stiffer and less malleable, and also thicker, and so harder to pierce with needles.
- The cost of double-lined curtain fabric is higher, due to the extra material and increased amount of work required to produce it.
Why Buy Curtain Fabric?
It should be clarified at this point that the term “curtain fabric” refers not to the finished curtain itself, but to the unshaped material from which curtains are made. This guide is referring specifically to that unshaped fabric. This section will examine the various reasons for buying the fabric in its un-sewn form and then sewing the curtains into shape yourself, as opposed to buying curtains pre-made. These reasons are as follows:
- The sense of achievement inherent in the act of making – the process of learning a skill, applying that skill to a creative task, and producing a satisfying end result is a uniquely rewarding one, and is a great way to satisfy creative urges.
- The lower cost – making curtains oneself is cheaper than buying them pre-made, as there are no labour costs or marked up prices.
- The improved selection of patterns and colours – there is a much more diverse selection of colours and patterns available in the unfinished fabric market than in the pre-made curtain market.
- The personal touch – making the curtains yourself allows complete artistic and creative control of how the curtains look; there will be no misinterpretations or frustrating barriers to understanding
Important Considerations When Buying Double-lined Curtain Fabric
There are several extremely important considerations that any prospective buyer of double-lined curtain fabric. These are as follows:
- Size – it is very important to ensure that the right quantity of double-lined fabric is bought with which to make curtains. The way to achieve this is to first thoroughly measure the area of the window which is to be covered. It is often good practice to buy a little extra material, in case of mistakes or accidents which result in loss of material, so that a new order will not have to be placed.
- Colour – it is important for curtains to be of a colour which complements that of the room. Many homeowners have their own sense of which colours go together in their opinion. There are, however, universally accepted colour schemes, which it might be a good idea to reference before purchasing the curtains, if unsure of exactly which colours will work best in the room.
- Pattern – which pattern the fabric features is entirely down to the discretion of the buyer, but it is nonetheless a factor worth giving as careful a consideration as colour.
- Cost – set a budget, and search for fabrics which fit within that budget, as buying double-lined curtain fabric can sometimes get expensive (depending largely on the fabric and the quantities in which it is being bought).
How to Buy Double-lined Curtain Fabric on eBay
It is an excellent idea when shopping for double-lined curtain fabrics to use the hugely popular auctioning website eBay. Not only does eBay have a wide selection of fabrics, in all kinds of different colours and patterns, it is designed with the user in mind, which results in a no-nonsense, pain-free online shopping experience.
Navigating the website to arrive at the double-lined curtain fabrics is as simple as could be. Begin from the eBay homepage. Select the Home & Garden option, found in the list of main categories, located in the left margin of the homepage. Next, choose the Curtains & Blinds category. Use the search bar to refine the search by typing a combination of the words such as “double-lined curtain fabric” into it and pressing enter, or alternatively just use the search bar for the initial navigation process.
Once the item listings are displayed (the item listings consist of thumbnail images, names, and small amounts of data about the products), the search can be refined using the filtering options, found towards the left of the page. These include price, condition and location, as well as the “auction” and “buy it now” options, which allow users to differentiate between whether or not they want to bid against other users for the item, or to buy it for a fixed, unchanging price.
Clicking on an item’s entry in the listings takes the user to said item’s individual page. This page contains more details and specifications of the product. It also features user ratings and feedback regarding the seller, which helps buyers decide which sellers to trust. The option to ask the seller a question directly can be found near the bottom of the page, along with previously asked and answered user questions, to potentially save the buyer the time required to wait for a response to the question.
This incredibly sophisticated and sleek website design, coupled with the immense range of products available, makes eBay the perfect choice for prospective buyers of double-lined curtain fabric.
Curtains are a very important part of any room, both in terms of the aesthetic value they possess and impose, and in terms of their practical applications. Double-lined curtains have several features which make them superior to regular curtain fabrics. This guide set out to highlight them. The ones it settled upon were:
- Light blocking
The guide also detailed some ways in which sewing your own curtains from fabric is preferable to buying them pre-made. The guide concludes that eBay, the online auctioning platform, is a truly great place to shop for double-lined curtain fabrics online, due to its impressive selection and its user-friendly interface.