Hi fellow eBayers
I thought I'd draw up a little guide of knowledge I have built up over time on eBay regarding eBayers reputations.
As Feedback Ratings are the corner stone of the eBay community, they are what eBayers constantly consult in order to decide whether to trade with somebody or not.
In doing so, it is important to consider the following question:-
Is an eBayer's Feedback Rating reliable?
Here are five key factors to consider when attempting to answer this question:
1) How long has the eBayer been registered with eBay?
2) Does their Feedback Rating fit with that length of time?
3) What has the eBayer been receiving feedback for? Many eBayers build a high Feedback rating by simply selling or buying lots of 1p items for which they inevitably obtain positive comments and ratings.
4) Check out whether the eBayer has had any "ratings mutually withdrawn". Now, if this has only happened once, then it's probably fair to give that person the benefit of the doubt. However, if it has happened on a number of accasions, be cautious. Sadly, I know from personal experience that some eBayers leave retaliatory negative feedback just so that they can then ask for "mutual feedback withdrawal" and get the negative that they had originally received. Obviously, this is an underhand practice that works on the basis that honest eBayers may give in to the request just to have the unfair feedback that was left for them removed. In such circumstances check under the feedback of the other parties in the transactions and make a judgement based on the other feedback ratings to see if you still want to trade with them.
5) Check to see if the Feedback Score is significantly higher than the "All positive feedback" rating. If it is, it is generally a good sign - it shows that eBayers have chosen to deal with that eBayer on more than one occasion which obviously means that they were happy to do so, so something must have been right!
I hope that you have found this guide helpful. If you have, please rate it so that it is more likely to be seen by other eBayers. Thank you and Happy & Safe eBaying!!!