eBay is a fantastic place to purchase a thermal body suit.. Thermal body suits are a great piece of kit for all water sports and activities, from scuba diving and snorkelling to swimming and skiing.
The purpose of this guide is to inform the reader about all thermal body suits, and to explain how to purchase them from renowned auction-based website eBay.
eBay is an authoritative name in the world of Internet shopping because of its competitive pricing, flexible payment options and the choice of how to purchase an item that it offers its customers. On eBay, shoppers can either purchase their desired item immediately (Buy It Now) or they can bid for it in anauction format (Bid Now) attempting to seek out the best possible price for that item.
Humans have been keeping themselves warm outside for thousands of years and our ability to maintain core temperate through clothing has become a great deal easier thanks to thermal underwear..
Thermal (or long) underwear has been around since the 17th century and was developed to be worn during colder periods in an attempt to keep warm. There were two main popular styles of thermal underwear. The first was a style of two-piece underwear with long sleeves and long legs, whilst the second style was a one-piece item of long underwear called the ‘union suit’ (often referred to as ‘woolly combinations’ or ‘woolly coms’ in Britain).
Union suits were traditionally made of red flannel with long arms and legs. They would button-up at the front and there was also a button-up flap at back across the buttocks. This flap allowed the owner to use the toilet without disrobing and was colloquially called the ‘access hatch’, ‘drop seat’ or ‘fireman’s flap’ The union suit would be the basis for the thermal body suit over a hundred years later.
Thermal Body Suits
A thermal body suit (also known as a thermal bodysuit or thermal base layer)) is an all in one piece of clothing that is specifically designed to regulate one’s body temperature when playing sport, or enjoying a variety of outdoor activities.
Thermal body suits come in many different shapes, sizes and styles but generally they cover the torso, hips, thighs and buttocks. Full body suits will also cover up to the neck, as well as the legs all the way down to the feet to provide full body protection.
Thermal body suits are very flexible, providing the owner with the best fit and the most comfort possible. The suits are made from durable but lightweight materials, meaning that the owner can move freely at all times.
Thermal body suits are typically made from cotton, Lycra or polyester (or a mixture of these materials). In warm weather, thermal body suits encourage perspiration to be removed from the skin, which keeps the wearer cool. In cold weather, the thermal properties of the fabric retain heat very well, keeping the wearer warm. In very cold waters, thermal body suits may be worn underneath a dry or wet suit to provide extra insulation from the cool temperatures.
Other Body Suits
Besides thermal versions, there are many different types of body suits that should not be confused with thermal body suits. These include:
- Weight Loss Body Suits: Rubber or latex suits that are designed to be worn during exercising to encourage the body to sweat more than normal. They do not let the perspiration escape or the body temperature decrease, so the body continues to sweat aiming to lose weight.
- Body Shaping Suits:Predominantly aimed at women these suits are designed to lift and support, flatten and smooth the body’s shape. Body shaping suitsare worn like underwear underneath any garment to give the owner greater confidence about their body shape.
- Wet Suits:Worn by those who partake in water sports, wet suits provide buoyancy in the water, but very little thermal insulation.
- Dry Suits: Also worn by water sports enthusiasts or those who work in cold water, dry suits prevent water entering, which provides insulation to the owner. These suits are pieces of high-tech clothing that are often worn when deep sea diving.
- Baby Body suits: An all in one item of clothing for new-born babies, with a back flap across the bottom that allows parents to change them easily.
Why Buy a Thermal Body Suit?
Besides keeping you warm and dry during sport or any outdoor activity, thermal body suits also protect the owner from accidental cuts and scrapes. Thermal body suits also offer an element of protection from the sun, which reduces the likelihood that the owner will suffer from sunburn whilst wearing the all in one suit.
Thermal body suits can be used for a wide range of sports and activities including:
- Hiking and Trekking
- Mountaineering and Orienteering
- Jet Skiing
- Scuba Diving and Snorkelling
Considerations When Shopping for Thermal Body Suits
Shopping for a thermal body suit is not like shopping for any other kind of suit. There are many considerations to bear in mind in order to get the best thermal suit available to you:
- Zips: Although most thermal body suits host one main zip, some suits may feature a two way zip, which is ideal for easy toilet trips.
- Multi-seasonal suit: Some thermal body suits are multi-seasonal so can be used in the summer as well as the winter, making it ideal for those who enjoy water sports all year round.
- Washing: Although most suits can be washed on a cool wash (non-iron), some thermal body suits can be difficult to clean, so it’s always best to check the manufacturers guidelines prior to purchase.
- Sizing:When choosing the thermal body suit size, you must remember that it will stretch. Thermal layers should always be tight to the skin to remove any excess sweat and provide maximum insulation. But remember: as tight as the suit needs to be, it must not be too restrictive on your body movement, otherwise it will be rendered useless when you come to play sport or perform a water-based activity.
How to Buy a Thermal Body Suit on eBay
eBay is a great place to buy a thermal body suit. Whether the shopper is seeking to purchase the item for hiking or skiing, eBay sells a range of thermal body suits to suit everyone regardless of their leisure activity.
Finding the desired item is easy thanks to eBay’s search functions.. Using the search toolbar,, customers simply need to enter in the type, style or manufacturer of the desired thermal body suit. The buyer will be then is greeted with pages of search results to browse through before selecting the most relevant result.
Once they have found their desired product, they can click onto it to be taken to that product’s individual listings page.. Each and every product for sale on eBay has its own product listings page, which displays a whole range of information about the product. This includes: a detailed specification, a product analysis and comments about the item's condition,, as well as photographs.
As such, an authoritative name in the ecommerce world, eBay also provides all of its shopper’s information about the item’s seller. This often includes (but is not limited to) the seller’s: location, eBay rating and selling history.
As the item’s seller’s location is disclosed, the buyer can assess whether it’s best to have the item delivered to their door, or to pick up the item themselves if the seller is local to them.
Even though every product for sale on eBay is given a comprehensive overview on its product listings page, some buyers may still feel that they require more information about the product or would like to ask the seller a question about it. This can all be done on eBay thanks to its contact the seller function.
And once the shopper has found their desired thermal body suit, they can purchase that item. On eBay, purchasing items can be completed in two ways: shoppers can bid for their item in an auction-like format (Bid Now)) attempting to get the best possible price, or they can purchase the product immediately (Buy It Now)).
All transactions made on eBay are safe and secure thanks to payment authority PayPal..
There are many issues to consider and factors to take into account when purchasing a thermal body suit, as after all it is not the same as regular suit shopping. However, with the crucial considerations and important information surrounding this item outlined and explained in this guide, along with eBay’s great customer service and easy to use website, buying a thermal body suit is quick and easy.
A good quality thermal body suit will keep your body warm, dry and free from sweat, so you can enjoy your chosen leisure activity for many years to come.
This guide has provided many useful tips, hints, advice and pieces of information about purchasing thermal body suits and what to look out for when buying these sporting goods products..