- 1 large OR 2 small onions (choose red or white as you prefer)
- 1 red pepper OR 10g tomato puree
- 50ml plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 30g fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Spice Kitchen turmeric
- Bunch fresh coriander (leaves & stems)
- 1 large fresh red chilli pepper, de-seeded OR 1 tbsp Spice Kitchen chilli powder (adjust amount to taste)
- 1 tsp Spice Kitchen garam masala
- 2 tbsp honey OR tamarind paste
Blitz all marinade ingredients together in a blender until smooth
(Alternatively, chop all whole ingredients as finely as possible and mix together with the remaining items, or pound in a pestle and mortar.)
Cover, chill and store until required, or immediately use the mixture to thoroughly coat your meat, fish or veg and leave to marinate as directed in the introduction.
When ready to cook, heat some flavourless oil (choose one with a high smoke point), infusing it with curry leaves, cinnamon and cardamom for added flavour, before adding your marinated meat, fish or veg and frying until cooked and tender.
Now you have two choices; you can eat this as it is as a ‘dry dish’ with naan and salad, or add water or coconut milk and allow it to cook into a cracking curry – perfect with mounds of fluffy rice!