Ingrown hairs, razor rash, razor burn, and other skin / hair removal irritations are common on both men and women after shaving, waxing or other hair removal method.
Ingrown hair occurs when a hair follicle grows back into your skin instead of growing out through the pore as it normally should. The longer the hair gets the more it irritates your skin and potentially causing infection. Ingrown hairs can be a serious health risk if left to fester. The irritations can be painful as well as being unsightly, embarrasing especially on areas like the face, underarms, bikini line and legs. The clinical term for ingrown hairs is: pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB). A large majority of PFB sufferers are African American / Caribbean men and women. The reason for this is that very curly afro hairs are most inclined to grow inward or curl around to form razor bumps.
What Causes Ingrown Hairs? Pathological Disease Manifestations of Ingrown Hairs
- Inflammation: The body’s response to injury. Skin tissue is damaged after the shaving process and it usually causes pain, heat, redness, and swelling. These symptoms occur because blood vessels in the area dilate to bring in extra white blood cells to eat the bacteria and other foreign particles gathering at the site of injury. As a result, dead cells begin to accumulate thus forming papule that turn into pus during the healing process. Any hair in the area gets bound under this formation, cannot exit the skin properly, and worsens the affected area. The hair must be removed to ensure proper and complete healing.
- Papule Formation: A small superficial raised abnormality or spot on the skin commonly known as a bump.
- Pustule Development: A blister on the skin containing pus.
- Bleeding: The rupture of an infected pustule and surrounding blood vessels due to their dilation and close proximity. These vessels are present and in a dilated condition to promote healing.
- Micrococci: Colonies or clusters of bacteria that cause abscesses in affected tissue. Their presence cause the body to begin the healing effort by both collecting these harmful bacteria and also by building a wall around the bacteria to prevent further spreading throughout the body
- Leukocyte Count Increases: - The presence of white blood cells increases in a damaged or infected area to protect the body against foreign substances and to help produce antibodies.
- Hypertrophy and Keloidal Scarring: Skin tissue begins to multiply in response to injury caused by the act of shaving, especially in sensitive areas (e.g. bikini line) thus causing Keloidal scarring. Keloid development is common in a small percentage of the population and is clearly defined as a hard, prominent, irregular shaped scar tissue, in the skin, often increasing in size. Keloidal scarring also usually occurs where healing injuries, burns, or surgical incisions are under tension.
- Epilation: The removal of a hair by its roots. This process is normally done by pulling the hair(s) with tweezers, using wax to strip an area of hair, or by electrolysis.
How can I Treat and Prevent Ingrown Hairs?
A few years ago, the treatment for Pseudofolliculitis Barbae (ingrown hairs), would be to use Antibiotics, Retinoic Acid, or to discontinue shaving all together. Today however, there are other treatments available. The most effective of which we have found to be P riva Shave Post Shave Gel (created by a former Estee Lauder Master Formulator). Priva Shave is 100% guaranteed to prevent the following problems
Commonly associated with after shaving:
Commonly associated with after shaving:
- RAZOR BUMPS
- RAZOR BURNS
- INGROWN HAIRS
- TISSUE SWELLING
- SKIN REDDENING
It is effective in preventing all of the above problems using the following hair removal procedures:
- RAZOR SHAVING
- HOT OR COLD WAXING
- COMPLETE COSMETIC MAKEUPS
- AND IN PERFORMING TATTOOS
Treat Irritations with the Best Product - Priva Shave (recommended by the Daily Express)Priva Shave has a unique anti-inflammatory/anti-irritant system coupled with a very effective antiseptic system. The anti-inflammatory /anti-irritant system is highly effective in preventing the normal intense inflammation that results from the irritating process of hair removal. Together these two systems prevent the introduction of bacteria into broken skin and block the normal inflammatory process. The system eliminates swelling and soreness, scars, skin discoloration and annoying itching resulting from hair removal. Because of this formulation, Priva Shave will give you smooth skin after the irritating shaving process. You will find that Priva Shave does not dry the skin due to the Chamomile Oil ingredient in it leaving the skin soft and moisturised. There are 2 formulas one for men, another for women.
Instructions for Use:After hair removal, clean the skin with warm water to remove all soap and other debris. The pores and other injury sites must be open and clear for treatment. Cover the entire area where the hair has been removed with a thin layer of Priva Shave and allow it to dry naturally. Once dry other moisturizers can be applied. Follow up with daily or nightly applications for maximum benefits. For problem areas, use Priva Shave daily. For prevention, use Priva Shave on the day of hair removal and for 3-4 days after hair removal. For male users, by using Priva Shave Post Shave Treatment "For Men" after each shave you will no longer experience burning sensations from heat and perspiration. The abrasions caused by razor irritation will be completely sealed and protected from salty perspiration (sweating). We suggest that Priva Shave - Post Shave Treatment be used daily after each and every close shave for maximum post shave comfort.
Priva Shave Post Shave Treatment has been carefully designed to render maximum post shave comfort after razor shaving.
It has a liquid gel type consistency, which makes for ease in application. Such consistency will allow the anti-inflammatory agent to adhere to the sites of injury longer soaking deep into the pores and abrasions to prevent post shave discomfort.
It has a dual alcohol /antiseptic system that contains a buffering component which produces a gel type consistency and thus reduces the normal sting intensity of all known alcohol- based after-shave products on the market today.
It has unique anti-inflammatory agent and its antiseptic agents together prevents the introduction of skin surface and air borne germs into the pores and abrasions. Thus it, prevents tissue inflammation which normally causes surface tissue tenderness, skin reddening, hair follicle swelling, which blocks the formation of a fleshy red mass (the bump). Thus the shaved hairs will not become entrapped to develop ingrown hairs.
It won’t cause excessive drying of the skin, because it contains special emollients and other rehydrators that counteract the normal drying effect of the dual alcohol system. Thus, the shaved skin area stays smooth, firm and moisturized.
It contains astringents that close the pores and abrasions tight to seal the anti-inflammatory agent securely in place to give long-term protection against tissue inflammation.
Priva Shave is an over-the-counter treatment that has stood the test of time as a complete solution to these problem conditions. It is the result of decades of tireless research & development and is the manufacturer’s one and only product.
Simply put, Priva Shave is the most potently effective treatment for ingrown hairs and razor rash in existence today. To top it all, most people see visible results within a week!
Other treatments such as Kalo Ingrown Hair Treatment can prove effective in treating all forms of hair removal irritations. Kalo Ingrown is designed to be used all over the face and body by both men and women. It reduces and promotes ingrown hair removal within days of use. It mildly exfoliates the outer dermal layer while adding elasticity to the newly exposed hair. This releases the trapped hair from under the constantly regenerating layers of skin. In addition, Kalo Ingrown is not drying to the skin due to the inclusion of glycerine.