How to identify real sterling silver from fakes?

Views 32 Likes Comments Comment
Like if this guide is helpful
Sterling silver are also called real silver, they are made of 92.5% pure silver with remaining 7.5% alloy. Sterling silver are popular used in jewelry market due to their good quality feature. While some items which have been stated silver might not be real one. In this case, it wil be very important for us to tell the real sterling silver from the fake one.

First of all, I want to guarantee to my customers that all of my sterling silver items are 100% real silver. If you are interested in my sterling silver items, you can click here to try my  Sterling Silver Charms . My products' quality are guaranteed, you can feel confident to buy them. If you purchased any imitated items which stated real sterling silver from my store, please contact me. I will compensate you with times of item values.

Nextly, let's continue to see how to indentify the real sterling silver:

First, check for marks, all of the real silver items have been stamped with "925" hallmark.
  (Check the sterling silver mark as shown on the picture)

Second, but not all of the items marked 925 are real silver items. The following are several tips for testing sterling silver:
  1. The simple and the first line test is a piece of magnet. Put a sterling silver item close to the magnet, if the magnet is attracted, it is not silver.
  2. To test silver content, you can place a drop of silver reagent on a notch in the metal. Pure silver will turn bright red, while sterling will turn much darker red. Silver 800 will turn brown, 500 silver will turn green.
  3. Add a drop of nitric acid also can test the sterling silver easily. Silver-plated; nickel silver or low quality silver alloys will turn green because of the high copper content, while the sterling will turn a creamy color.But be aware of the risk of handling the above chemicals, it is toxic and dangerous.
Thanks for reading and hope this can be helpful. Should you require any assistance about the sterling silver information. Please do not hesitate to contact me. It's my pleasure to assist you.:)
Have something to share, create your own guide... Write a guide
Explore more guides