Cultivating microworms, Walter worms and banana worms
The culture will usually take 2 days to establish itself, but can on occasion take up to a week.
Suitability: Newborn/newly hatched fry to 5cm adults.
Temperature: 10 - 30°C
Ease: Very easy.
- an ice cream tub or a food box with a lid which has small air holes in it
- a tiny bit of yeast and the cheapest oats you can find
- & the starter culture which I will send
- once you receive the culture, mix the oats (enough for there to be about 2-2.5cm of them on the bottom of the tub), yeast and a bit of warm water in the tub
- roughly spread the starter culture on top & wipe down the sides (on the inside)
- wait two days
- use a paintbrush or your finger to collect the microworms from the side of the tub and feed to the fish
- restart the culture after 4-5 weeks
- don't let it dry out, but you don't want to flood it either!
Warning: Some Betta splendens breeders have noticed that if the fry are overfed microworms, they might not have ventral fins. Regular water changes and a varied diet will prevent this from happening.