In particular my email had my ebay name and home email - but not my name. If in doubt compare it with other emails from ebay - e.g. special offers, you will find a number of other subtle differences. In my email the physical address of ebay was included - it is not in ebay emails. A number of hyperlinks had odd changes to them as well
What to do next?
- Always go to "My messages" in ebay - if there isn't a copy there it's not from ebay - delete the email permanently
- Do not click on any hyperlinks in the email message - you will not be taken to ebay
- Do not enter any personal details if asked to by the email
- Always buy through confirmed ebay pages by going to the site and logging on
- Tell ebay about the scam
- If in doubt always hang onto your cash - the item will always come up again sometime
Happy and safe buying!