Follow these tips when using planes.
- Use the appropriate plane for the work at hand.
- Use Bench planes for stock removal, smoothing rough surfaces, truing, and fine finishing.
- Use Jack Planes or longer planes for longer length planing (i.e. doors) to produce a straight line.
- Use block or trimming planes for end grain, where single handed working is require, and to dress up short work.
- For optimal cutting performance, place cutters in bench planes bevel side down and cutters for lock planes bevel sid eup.
- Always keep the blade sharp/
- Lightly oil the working surfaces after use.
- Rest the plane on its side when not in use.
- Stores the plane with its cutter retracted to avoid premature edge wear.
Taken from Stanley Tips area of Rapidonline website.