The LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game System (Leapster GS) is an educational handheld gaming device for children aged between four and nine. The Leapster aims to teach children through engagement and all of its games and apps are education based. The device can be fundamental in the development and learning potential for children of all ages, but in particularly those aged between four and nine.
It has been nominated for the 2013 Toy of the Year award and received many other awards including the 2011 Toy of the Year. There are plenty of Game Systems available on eBay and it possible to find one at a very affordable price. The following guide shall discuss the Leapster and how to successfully purchase a used GS through eBay.
LeapFrog Learning Game System
LeapFrog is a leading brand in educational gaming systems. They make Reading Tablets for children aged 1-8 years, Learning Tablets for children aged 3-9 years, and Gaming Systems for children aged 4-9 years.
The games cover many subjects including the following,
The original Leapster was released in 2003. The Leapster2 was released in 2008 as an updated version of the original Leapster. This series of Gaming System is the most successful education system available, and the GS has sold over four million units worldwide.
The Leapster GS has a number of features including a directional pad and a stylus system. The GS has touch screen capabilities and this is a required part of interaction for some of the games and apps.
Separate game cartridges and apps for the game systems are also available for purchase. This greatly extends the lifespan of the game systems. There are currently over one hundred and thirty five game cartridges and applications for the LeapFrog Leapster Game System.
Leapster Game Features
- Compatible with all the game cartridges and apps from the Leapster Explores series.
- Compatible with all LeapPad learning apps.
- Made from durable hard plastic.
- Built in 2 megapixel camera and video camera.
- Built in microphone
- Motion based play.
- Stylus attached and kept in the back of GS for stylus supported games and apps.
- Stylus can be used to draw and edit pictures on the touch screen.
- 2 GB of memory.
- Multi-button control.
- 3.5” screen.
- 1.24” in thickness.
- Weighs 1.2 lbs.
- 550 MHz processor.
- USB port.
- Headphone jack.
- Battery life of up to 10 hours.
- Built in tutorials.
- Comes with three free apps.
- Adjustable difficulty level.
- Suitable for use on long journeys and at home.
As well as using 4 AA batteries, the Leapster GS can run on rechargeable batteries and an AC Adapter, both of which are sold separately. The battery life is around eight to ten hours, so it is a good idea to buy either of the alternate power supplies. This will reduce the cost (for batteries), and keep the Leapster ready for use at any time.
Leapster Game Categories
The game cartridges and applications available for the Leapster GS are categorised as follows
- Digital Books
- Learning Videos
- Foreign Languages
- Flash Cards
- Just For Fun
Offline and online Parental Controls are built in to the Leapster GS and keep the game system safe for children. Although the child will be able to create and maintain their own profile, only an adult can access the Online Parent Portal that allows parents to buy and downloads games and apps from the LeapFrog website. This makes the Leapster Learning Game System extremely safe-proof thanks to the parental restrictions added to the software.
The LeapFrog Connect function allows children to upload and store any pictures or videos they create. These can then be transferred to social networking sites such as Facebook, or sent to an email address. LeapFrog Learning Path allows parents to track their children’s progress and if there are any areas that the child could use assistance in.
Buying Used Leapster Game Systems on eBay
Buying Leapster Game Systems on eBay offers great value for money. Many people put the Leapsters up for sale due to their children outgrowing the recommended age. Leapster Game Systems, game cartridges and apps are available in a variety of brands including
- Disney owned franchises such as Cars, Disney Princesses and Toy Story.
- Nickelodeon owned franchises such as Dora the Explorer and Spongebob Squarepants.
- The popular doll line Bratz also has personalised Game Systems for sale.
Once a buyer has decided on a preferred brand and type of Leapster product, it is advisable to visit eBay.co.uk. Once at the website, the following instructions will highlight how to find the Leapster game required:
- First, click on the Search By Categories tab located beside the search bar. Once this is done then click on See All Categories.
- This will upload to the Categories page.
- Scroll down to the Toys and Games heading.
- Under the Educational Toys title, click LeapFrog and Leapster.
- Enter Leapster GS into the search bar and press enter.
- Scroll down to the Condition table on the left and click on used.
- This will upload to the Used Leapster Listings page.
The Sub-Type heading arranges the Leapsters into the following categories
Below the Character heading is the Age Level. This divides all the Game Systems by difficulty and age recommendation. This will help speed up the search.
If looking for a particular make, colour or style of GS, enter as much information as possible into the search bar. The Wish List option lets other eBay users know if a buyer is searching for a Leapster game cartridge or app that is not currently listed on the site.
Leapster GS Listings Page
The Listings Page is where buyers browse for an item on eBay. The used Leapster GS listings page has a number of additional filters to assist in the search.
- The Specific Characters menu will search for brand licensed Leapsters. Click on the character to be brought to the relevant listings page.
- The Age Level filters out all ill relevant ages.
- There are also options for the Type, TV/Film Characters and the location of the seller.
- The Buying Format changes the sale from auction to Buy It Now. Items listed as Buy It Now are not auctioned and are sold at a set price.
- At the bottom of the page buyers can change the amount of listings shown on the page.
- International items for sale are found on the bottom of the page.
Used Leapster GS Item Page
Clicking on the title of a listing will load up to the item page. All of the item’s important information is kept on this page and it can be used to contact the seller with any enquires.
- Each item page should have a picture of the item in its current state. If there is no picture then one can be requested buy using the Ask a question option. Always request a picture when purchasing a used game system or cartridge.
- Beside the picture buyers will find the price, current bid, postage costs, item location and estimated delivery. If buying a GS or game cartridge for a special occasion, remember to note the delivery time.
- The Description box contains messages from the seller about the item. These may include any slight damage or its condition.
- The Postage and Payments box contains the details about delivery costs and the seller’s Returns Policy.
eBay also has Leapster GS accessories for sale. These range from carry cases to screen protectors. To search additional Leapster items simply add accessories to the end of the search. Always make sure that the accessory is compatible with the Gaming System.
At the top of an item page on the right buyers can find a brief summary of the seller’s ratings. eBay works on a ratings system and users are encouraged to leave public feedback good or bad, about their interactions with other users. Before making a purchase spend a few moments reviewing the seller’s profile.
- What percentage of their feedback is positive?
- If there is negative feedback, what are the comments about?
- Are there any negative comments about condition? If buying a used item then make sure that it will be in working order.
- Check the retail price for a new version of the GS or game being purchased. Buyers will be able to quickly tell if they’re getting value for their money.
- If the buyer runs into problems dealing with a seller, then they should contact eBay’s Resolution Centre. They assist with any discrepancies between buyer and seller.
- If encountering difficulty using the site, check the Customer Support page for tips and help. Additionally buyers can contact a member of the eBay support team, using the link found on this page.
The LeapFrog Leapster GS is one of the most popular educational gaming systems available. LeapFrog is constantly receiving awards in recognition of their excellent products, and parents around the world are very happy with the systems.
The Leapster GS makes a great present for any child aged between 4-9 years old, and eBay offers a great selection of used Leapsters for sale. When reviewing a used item for sale, always check the picture and description for any damages it may have. Also keep in mind the location of the GS if it’s meant for an occasion, as delivery times will vary from seller to seller.