The TomTom One is an easy to use system with a touchscreen display. The display shows a 3D map of your location in combination with voice directions. You can choose from 55 different voices in 36 different languages. The display is a good quality TFT display that can be seen easily in day or night-time conditions, although at just 3.5 inches across it's quite small. You won't find a larger display in this price range however, so you'll need to spend more if you want a bigger screen!
The menus are easy to navigate. There are options to select the best route depending on whether you want the quickest, shortest, or avoiding tolls and congestion charges. You can even plan complex trips with stop-offs and breaks. The TomTom will estimate arrival times for you (or, if you like to work backwards, you can specify an arrival time and the TomTom will tell you when you have to leave!) Additional information such as sign posts is displayed when available. One bonus feature that we like is the digital compass Â– hardly any other sat-nav systems offer this useful feature.
The whole device is very compact and is very easy to install, detach and transport. You can literally take the device with you in your pocket after you park the car. A windscreen holder and in-car charger are included. Battery life is about two hours, so you'll need to hook up the charger if you're planning a journey longer than this.
The basic TomTom One comes with mapping for the UK (Great Britain & Northern Ireland) only. The TomTom One Europe comes with complete mapping for the whole of Western Europe, stored in a convenient plug-in memory card. For the record, the complete coverage is as follows: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City.
Moving away from the core navigation functions, the TomTom One has still more to offer. Using the device's Bluetooth connection, you can connect to your mobile phone (if compatible) and use your phone to download traffic congestion reports, weather forecasts, additional voices, detailed city maps and other extras. However, please note that this is a subscription based service.
Optional accessories include a choice of carrying cases, and a USB charger kit.
In summary if you're looking for a basic reliable in-car sat-nav system that gets you from A to B without fuss, the TomTom One is the one to choose. Spend more cash and you'll get a larger screen and more toys to play with, but for those on a budget the ONE does the job.
Features of the TomTom ONE include:
- Plug & Go: works straight out of the box
- Touchscreen user interface with 3D and 2D graphics
- 3.5 inch anti-glare screen (320 x 240 pixels, 64,000 colours)
- Spoken directions in 36 languages and 55 different voices
- Itinerary Planning: plan your trip by defining multiple waypoints and destinations
- Car speed linked volume: volume of voice instructions will increase/decrease depending on speed of car
- Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit
- Compass Mode: displays compass on screen to have even better orientation while driving
- Map coverage: UK or Europe (depending on model)
- Highly sensitive GPS chipset with 32MB RAM, CPU 266 MHz
- Bluetoothâ„¢ technology for TomTom PLUS services: real time information on traffic congestion, weather conditions and extra downloads such as detailed city maps, scenic routes, additional voices, Points Of Interest and much more. (Subscription and mobile phone with BluetoothÂ® and GPRS needed)
- Battery Life: up to 2 hours (internal Lithium-Ion battery)
- Operating temperature: -10 Â°C to +55 Â°C
- Portable, lightweight and wallet-sized
- Weight: 174g
- Size: 96 x 82 x 25 mm