***AN EXCELLENT ORIGINAL RADIO***
'A BETTER AND MORE ENJOYABLE INVESTMENT THAN YOUR PENSION FUND!'
Your bids are invited for what must be one of the very best examples of an EKCO A22 BAKELITE RADIO. Dating from 1945, this was the last of only five models produced by the British firm of EKCO between 1935 and 1945. Relatively few examples of this beautifully styled radio exist today, especially in this rare black and chrome combination. It is in full working order, great sensitivity, with distortion-free sound, and is the last one from my own private collection.
Cosmetically this set is in excellent condition. There are absolutely NO cracks, gouges or chips to the case (apart from a small repaired section to the rear of the base, which is unseen**). There are some minor surface scratches, which could be polished out with a bit of effort (!) but overall the case is free from any discoloration and has a nice lustrous sheen. The chrome surround is free from any pitting, the loudspeaker grille cloth is without any fading, with no tears or holes. The back-lit tuning scale is a later type and probably one of the best I have encountered and is absolutely perfect, with NO scratches or burn marks, and with all the station names showing clearly. The ORIGINAL back is included and has all the fixings in place. The ORIGINAL knobs are free from any splits or cracks and the ORIGINAL mains transformer is fitted. A PVC mains cord has been fitted in the interests of electrical safety as the original 2-core braided rubber insulation ones ALWAYS become very brittle and unsafe with age!
** this 2cm long area has been professionally filled in with black Milliput and is unseen anyway!
The radio has been professionally re-aligned and the 3-valve plus rectifier configuration is very sensitive on just a few feet of aerial wire, easily pulling in stations across the whole range. All the valves have been checked for good emission and the sound from the ORIGINAL loudspeaker is clean and undistorted. The tuning drive cord has been replaced and the integral slow-motion drive functions correctly, with the correct degree of mechanical bandspread for fine tuning. The tuning, wave-change and volume controls function perfectly, without noise or crackling. A copy of the Radio Trader Service Sheets for this model are supplied, giving full circuit and alignment details. In addition an authentic copy of the original EKCO user installation and operating instructions are supplied.
Dimensions are 14.5 inches diameter and 7.5 inches deep, with a weight of 7Kg. Inspection is invited by arrangement.
This is a unique opportunity to acquire one of the best examples of this radio I have owned. A true style icon, over 60 years old, it provides a real talking point when seen in any setting and should provide years of pleasure. These radios were often featured in classic films of the period and their usage is also seen in many well-known prestige TV and films, such as 'Poirot', 'Miss Marple' and Agatha Christie plays. Whoever purchases this superb example of British radio history will be the envy of other radio collectors!
SIX GOOD REASONS TO BUY A VINTAGE RADIO FROM BOWN007
PRIVATE AUCTIONS People ask why I use the private auction format. First of all it prevents any bidders being approached directly with offers to sell them the same item at a much reduced price! These offers are usually ‘scams’ with the item not actually existing and the so-called seller copying my listing and then doing a runner with the money! Secondly, there are some strange people out there whose sole aim in life is to slander and denigrate the reputation of the seller by giving out all sorts of rumours to potential bidders. Finally any real auction is private insofar that bidders in the auction room are unknown to anyone else (unless previously met or acquainted) and many bids are commission only without the bidder being present.
1. I have over 40 years experience as a professional engineer in all aspects of receiver and transmitter technology. As a BBC engineer and lecturer for many years I trained all grades of staff in both theoretical and practical aspects of radio and television broadcasting. Starting with valve equipment in the 1960's and progressing through to current trends I am fully conversant with valve, transistor and IC circuitry as used in vintage and current receivers.
2. The radios I sell all go through the same steps of refurbishment even if they are in supposed mint condition. I spend considerable time on each radio to restore them into a condition that I would accept from my own private collection. I research each radio to give you the model number and vintage, with any provenance where possible. They are all completely disassembled, the case and chassis are thoroughly cleaned and polished, filter capacitors are checked and replaced if leaky (for no hum), all valves are removed, tested and replaced if weak, the mains power cord is replaced if worn or frayed, dial lamps are replaced where required and any missing screws are replaced.
3. I always do my best to give accurate details of any flaws and list with many photographs, so you can judge for yourself what you are bidding on. I NEVER use generic or scanned material from any outside source!
4. You will never hear me say "the mains cord is cut so I cannot test it" or "I know nothing about radios, I just bought this in a house clearance or auction"
5. If I list it on E-Bay then it is working properly with clear mellow sound. Any exceptions to this will ALWAYS be clearly stated. I do not sell broken, junk or mystery radios. Any radios sold for spares usage only will have this clearly stated in the description. IMPORTANT. Due to transport and shipping conditions being beyond our control we can only guarantee the working condition of our radios prior to shipment. Customers are recommended to collect in person wherever possible due to the relative fragility of these old radios!
6. I ONLY sell radios (and classic telephones). I DO NOT sell china, paintings, toys and all the other stuff that non-specialists and the general antiques and house clearance sellers on E-Bay advertise!
7. .PERSONAL MESSAGE TO E-BAYERS
Prospective buyers are strongly advised to examine personally any goods in which they are interested BEFORE the auction takes place. Whilst every care is taken in the accuracy of condition reports and descriptions I provide
no guarantee to the buyer other than that stated above. Many items are of an age or nature which precludes their being in perfect condition and some descriptions that are given make reference to damage and/or restoration. I
provide this information for guidance only and will not be held responsible for
oversights concerning defects or restoration, nor does a reference to particular defects imply the absence of any others. Prospective purchasers must accept these reports as genuine efforts by myself or must take other steps to verify the condition of lots.
POSTAGE AND PACKING
All items are internally padded where possible with bubble-wrap to prevent valve damage. Radios are also wrapped with many layers of bubble-wrap and sent in double-walled cartons with extra loose-fill and solid polystyrene chips. The cost of packing materials is significant and costs between £5 and £10 per item, depending upon size. The rates I quote for postage include this factor and must be taken into account. Collection by arrangement is also possible and recommended.
Air shipping rates,insured to £500 for 11Kg gross packed weight( radio weighs 7Kg) follow. Please note that insurance costs myself £10 for every £500 insured-insurance to £500 is included. To insure to £1,000 an extra £12 MUST BE ADDED to the prices shown below.
FRANCE, GERMANY, DENMARK AND
BELGIUM, NETHERLANDS, LUXEMBOURG...£70
ITALY, SPAIN, PORTUGAL GREECE..…….…...£80
REST OF EUROPE.….....….…..£90
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND…...……....£45