Details about The Life & Adventures Of Nicholas Nickleby Charles Dickens FIRST EDITION 1839See original listing
15 Apr, 2014 01:39:13 BST
Newtownards, United Kingdom
The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens.
This rare hardback book is a First Edition, early variant of "The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" by Charles Dickens.
Published by Chapman and Hall, London, 1839.
The book contains the following issue points/typos as required for a first edition (plus more not mentioned here)
1) No half title;
2) Contains 39 illustrations by Phiz plus the Frontis Portrait--the portrait is dated 1839, first four illustrations contain the Chapman & Hall imprint;
3) Page x, line 2 reads "wil";
4) Page 123 "sister" is inserted instead of "visitor";
5) Page 160, "latter" not corrected to "letter";
6) Page 238 "inscribed" is misspelt "incsribed";
7) Page 245, contains "flys" instead of "flies";
8) Page 270, contains "Mercie" instead of "Merci";
9) Page 586 contains "suprise" instead of "surprise"; and,
10) Page 618 contains "Grogswig."
It is bound in its original period half leather binding with marbled end papers and page extremities.
The book is in good condition for its age. There is some wear as pictured to the front and back boards, head and foot of the spine and at the corners and edges. There is some cracking to the hinges (front and back) and it would probably benefit from being restored but it remains tightly bound for now - quite surprising given that it is approximately 175 years old!
Some of the illustrations are browned with some age spotting present. All illustrations are present and in tact (a few examples of which can be found in the photos) The frontispiece is covered in tissue paper (as is often the case) and it is the D Maclisse painting of Dickens with facsimile signature underneath.
There is also a neat previous ownership inscription to the first free end paper dated September 1848. This seems to be common in old books of this age as it was the only way the owner could identify it as theirs.
This is a VERY SCARCE book with many variants and I believe this to be a first edition, early variant of this book.
Shipping within the UK is free via Royal Mail Special Delivery (next day and insured)
International postage is via Royal Mail tracked and signed for service and the costs for this are attached in the listing.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my item. Please feel free to check out the other books I have listed.
Posted with eBay Mobile