Get Cinema-Quality Sound at Home With 5.1 Surround Sound
5.1 surround sound systems deliver clear dialogue, high-quality audio, and realistic special effects, turning movie night at home into an immersive, cinema-style experience. On eBay, you will find a vast selection of both new and used 5.1 surround sound systems with a range of prices to suit every budget.
What types of speakers come with a 5.1 surround sound system?
With so many different surround systems to choose from, there are a wide variety of different speaker types available in both wireless and wired options, including:
- Floor standing speakers.
- Wall mounted speakers.
- Ceiling mounted speakers.
- Bookshelf speakers.
What should be considered when choosing a 5.1 surround sound system?
The first thing to consider is the size and layout of the room; this will assist you in choosing the power and size of your speakers. Also, consider where you will be placing the speakers, and if trailing wires may cause any problems – if so, you may want to consider wireless speakers. When thinking about where to place your speakers, check the general room layout as you may need to move some furniture to achieve cinema-quality sound.
How can you expect from a surround sound system?
Surround sound works by splitting sound into different channels and then playing those channels through speakers placed around the room to give a realistic and immersive experience. For example, if someone knocks on a door on the right of the screen, the sound will be played through speakers to the right of the viewer.
What does 5.1 mean?
5.1 is the term used to describe surround sound that is split into six channels, comprised of five full bandwidth channels and one low-frequency channel. 5.1 surround sound uses six separate speakers:
- A centre speaker: Used for most of the dialogue in a movie. The centre speaker is placed at the front of the room, usually under the television.
- A subwoofer: To produce a low bass sound and room rumbling effects. The subwoofer is usually placed at the front of the room, to the side of the television and centre speaker.
- Left and right front speakers: Used for sound effects and dialogue that comes from the sides of the screen.
- Two surround sound speakers: Used for surround music and effects, these speakers are placed to the sides of, or behind, the viewer.