Buses for Professional and Private Use
There can be any number of reasons that you need a bus, such as for your business to move your items to various locations or for your transportation business to add to your fleet. A smaller type of bus, like a mini-coach or minibus, can be useful for private use; and a bus of any size can be converted into a home as part of the tiny home movement that has gained momentum and popularity in recent years. You can find many great bargains if you search on eBay for buses for sale in the UK.
The types of bus for sale you can find online
There are many types of affordable buses that are categorised by size and function. These are some of the more common types of new and vintage buses you can find on eBay:
- Coach - A coach is great for long-distance trips. It is comfortable and has a lot of room, and you can often find a cheap tour bus for sale in the UK.
- Shuttle bus - Shuttle buses are large vans that are often used to carry people over the same dedicated routes from airports and hotels.
- Minibus - These are smaller than other buses for sale. They carry between eight and 25 passengers.
- Mini-coach - These are around the same size as a minibus, but they are more luxurious.
- Double-decker bus - A double-decker bus has two levels of seating. It can carry around 70 passengers. A double-decker bus for sale can have doors in the middle and the back, and some only have a door at the front.
- Trolley - A trolley runs on power derived from electric cables above the street.
- Open-top bus - An open-top bus can be a double-decker or a single-decker bus with an open roof. The roof can be partially present or not at all.
Do you need a special license to buy an old bus in the UK?
To operate a large bus or coach, you need a Passenger Carrying Vehicle licence and a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence. To begin training with a company, you must possess an EU driving licence and be at least 18 years old. You need to renew your bus or lorry licence every five years normally and every year after the age of 65.
Tests for the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence
There are four sub tests that you must take to qualify for the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence:
- Driver CPC part 1 test: theory
- Driver CPC part 2 test: case studies
- Driver CPC part 3 test: driving ability
- Driver CPC part 4 test: practical demonstration
If you are using the bus or coach for non-commercial carriage of passengers or items for personal use, then you do not need a full CPC.