Collectible Newspapers from 1940 to 1969
How much a collectible newspaper from 1940 to 1969 is worth depends on the characteristics of the paper itself. If it's a headline declaring, "Germany Capitulates on All Fronts," it could be expensive. On the other hand, you might find that parcel of history listed on eBay for a good price.Which old newspapers are highly valuable?
Many old papers are valuable, but not everyone knows which old papers have worth. Usually, papers that are worth more are the ones featuring a significant moment in history.
The moon landing newspaper, for example, is a frequent collectible. Many WWII newspapers are valued as well. Some individual publications of rare newspapers are worth a lot of money. Think of the New York Herald's April 15, 1865 edition announcing President Lincoln's death. Here are some of the most valuable:
- War! Oahu Bombed by Japanese Planes - The Honolulu Star, December 7, 1941
- Dewey Defeats Truman - Chicago Daily Tribune, November 3, 1948
- Earthquake and Fire: San Francisco in Ruins - The Call Chronicle Examiner, April 19, 1906
- Hitler Killed or Hitler Dead - Any May 2, 1945 edition
- Walk on Moon - Any 1969 moon landing newspaper has value, it's the July 21, 1969 edition
We know that any moon landing newspaper edition in good condition has value. It is valuable because it contains certain characteristics. All collectors look for certain things in possibly rare documents.
A list of parameters that collectors look at when determining how much a newspaper is worth includes the following:
- Historic content - The most important factor for determining value
- Rarity - Limited editions and the amount of copies that are still available is key in determining how a rare a paper is
- Age - The older the publication, the higher value, most of the time
- Quality - The newspaper's condition is important. However, since it is made of a fragile material, condition is not as important as it is in other collectibles
The moon landing headline is a rare and highly valuable collectible. Other historical moments captured in headlines are highly collectible but not as expensive as those on the rare list. Find affordable newspapers to collect with some of these stories:
- Brooklyn Signs Jackie Robinson
- Japan Quits
- Marilyn Dead
- Kennedy Slain by Assassin
- Nixon Resigns