What You Need to Know Before Buying Panasonic's Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries
Dry batteries are a cost-effective and convenient way to power many technological devices, like TV remotes and digital cameras. Historically, however, they haven't been the most environmentally friendly power source. That's why Panasonic developed eneloop batteries, which combine the benefits of alkaline batteries with the sustainability of rechargeable batteries.How do eneloop batteries work?
Eneloop rechargeable batteries that you can find for a reasonable price on eBay provide users with the performance of dry batteries. Like alkaline batteries, they can be used immediately after purchase, and they have a long shelf life. Like rechargeable batteries, they are reusable and recyclable. Each battery cell can be reused as many as 2,100 times, and they retain most of their charge while in storage.
These batteries are able to retain capacity over long periods of time thanks to their metal-hydride alloy lattice. The brand's nickel-metal hydride technology helps each battery cell last longer than comparable dry batteries on a single charge and maintain optimal voltage in extreme temperatures.What lines does the brand offer?
Eneloop offers three types of environmentally conscious, rechargeable batteries. They include
- Eneloop: The main line offers batteries that can be recharged more than 2,000 times, can retain 70% capacity even after years in storage, and meets the standards of the Green Certificate System.
- Eneloop Pro: The brand's pro line offers higher capacity and higher retention. These batteries can retain up to 85% capacity after a year in storage.
- Eneloop Lite: The lite line has a lowered capacity, but this is offset by its increased rechargeability. Users can recharge lite batteries up to 3,000 times. Like the brand's more capacious options, they still retain 70% capacity after five years in storage.
The three lines offer AA-size batteries and AAA-size batteries. The capacities are as follows:
- Eneloop AA batteries: 2,000 mAh
- Eneloop AAA batteries: 800 mAh
- Eneloop pro AA batteries: 2,550 mAh
- Eneloop pro AAA batteries: 950 mAh
- Eneloop lite AA batteries: 1,000 mAh
- Eneloop lite AAA batteries: 600 mAh
Panasonic makes several chargers compatible with these ready-to-use rechargeable batteries. Options that you can easily find on eBay include
- Advanced Charger BQ-CC17: This four-battery charger can restore an AA battery to full charge in seven hours. During the charging process, it detects voltage, helping to prevent overflow.
- Basic Charger BQ-CC51: This charger also accommodates four batteries. It can restore a battery to full charge in 10 hours. It is designed to recharge for a preset time.
- Basic Charger BQ-CC50: This charger offers the same charging time and timer cut as the other Basic Charger model. It only differs in capacity; it's designed to charge two batteries instead of four.