Frequently Asked Questions About Portable Car GPS Devices
GPS, which is short for Global Positioning System, is a satellite navigation system that provides information about your location in real time. Once you install a GPS device in your vehicle, you can use it to plot a course between multiple locations or receive instant updates on your present position. If you’re looking for GPS devices, eBay simplifies the buying and selling process.
How do you choose the right GPS device?
GPS devices can come with many different features, some of them unrelated to navigation. Here is what you need to know to choose between different models:
- Screen size: GPS screens typically range in size between 5 inches and 10 inches. A larger screen may be more useful if you sit farther away from the device.
- Screen resolution: Most devices vary between 480p Standard Definition and 1080p High Definition. Higher definition means more overall detail.
- GPS features: Possible GPS features may include a 3D map, preinstalled maps, and warning alarm notices for speed limits, signs, traffic lights, and other road hazards.
- Controls: Most GPS devices should be equipped with voice navigation and/or touchscreen controls.
- Bluetooth connectivity: GPS devices with wireless Bluetooth connectivity allow you to connect external devices. For example, you can connect your smartphones to make hands-free calls or receive notifications or text messages directly on the display.
- Multimedia: Some GPS devices support MP3, AVI, MP4, and WMV files, so you can listen to music or watch video while you are travelling in your vehicle. Some models support TXT ebooks as well.
Does it matter what kind of vehicle you own?
The only time you need to worry about compatibility is if you purchase an in-dash GPS device. Then you will need to make sure it is compatible with the right model and year of your vehicle so it fits inside of your dashboard. Otherwise, most GPS devices are compatible with just about any vehicle. They should come with a mount that will attach to the dashboard of your vehicle. Most devices will either draw power directly from the vehicle through the charger or run on rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.
Are GPS devices compatible with a camera?
Yes. In fact, some GPS devices already come with a dash cam or rear cam, allowing you to view or record footage from around your vehicle directly on the screen. It can also warn you of possible collisions or lane departures before it’s too late.