All About Sarah Coventry Vintage Antique Costume Jewelry
When Lyman K. Stuart founded his second costume jewelry company in 1949, he called it “Sarah Coventry,” which were his granddaughter’s first and middle names. Sarah Coventry jewelry was sold at house parties rather than in stores. You’ll find reasonably priced vintage Sarah Coventry jewelry when you shop on eBay.Types of Sarah Coventry costume jewelry
Sarah Coventry Jewelry hired freelance designers to create its distinctive inventory. The company offered a range of pieces, including:
- Clip-on earrings
The company favored large, eye-catching stones in its costume jewelry. These were often multicolored rhinestones that were shaped in cabochon, Etruscan, or marquise-cut styles. Other simulated gemstone favorites were faux pearls, opals, and turquoises. Sometimes, brooches would incorporate graphics like the Mona Lisa into their designs. The company also manufactured a line of cameo brooches. Settings were base metals with a thin coating of silver-toned or gold-toned metal.
Sarah jewelry was big on matching sets. Typically, a colorful necklace was coordinated with a lookalike bracelet and a complementing set of earrings.What are some of the names of Sarah Coventry product lines?
Many Sarah Coventry pieces were issued as part of branded product lines:
- Azure: Large faux turquoise-colored stones set in gold-colored metal and surrounded by smaller, opalescent glass orbs.
- Wisteria: Chandelier-style pink and purple rhinestones set in silver-colored metal.
- Acapulco: Green and carnelian-colored glass cabochons set with gold-colored metal beads.
- Maharani: Opaque blue and translucent emerald green glass stones set in gold-colored metal around a central opaque turquoise-colored stone. A rim of tiny rhinestones surrounds each of the blue stones.
- Remembrance: Faux pearls and turquoises set in textured silver-colored metal and surrounding a larger turquoise-colored stone.
- Bittersweet: Faux coral stones set in gold-colored metal. Smaller pieces like earrings and brooches are surrounded by gold-colored leaves.
- Elegance: Green glass stones set in a gold-toned metal cap.
- Fashion Splendor: Pink, white, and clear green stones set in textured gold-covered metal.
It’s usually easy to identify a Sarah Coventry piece because the company marked each piece with one of these identifying symbols:
- Sarah Cov