Store and Protect your Servers with a Server Cabinet
Servers are the largest and most vital components in your network, so its important to take good care of them. A server cabinet, or rack, stores your servers correctly, allowing proper airflow and easy access for maintenance. Browse eBay’s vast selection of new and used server racks to find the ideal server storage solution for your home or office.How is the size of a server cabinet measured?
The internal height of a server cabinet is measured in units of U. One U is equivalent to 44.45mm, so, for example, if the height of a server cabinet is listed as 6U, this means that the internal height is 266.7mm (6 x 44.45mm). The external size will be larger than the U measurement as extra space is needed for fans, cables, and other accessories. The width of server cabinets is measured in mm.
When shopping for a server cabinet, it is important to be clear on both the internal and external measurements to ensure that your new cabinet will fully accommodate your equipment and also that the rack will fit into its designated space.What are the benefits of using a server cabinet?
Server cabinets and racks are designed to keep all of your servers neatly stored and protected in one place. A server rack will protect servers from bumps and spills and also provide correct cooling and ventilation to prevent overheating. Servers stored in racks are also easy to access if maintenance is required, and choosing a lockable server rack will help to increase your network security.What features do server cabinets have?
Exact features will vary according to make, model and price. Some common features to look out for include:
- Ventilation: As servers generate heat, good ventilation, including vents and grills to allow air to flow through, is essential to prevent overheating.
- Fans: Roof-mounted fans expel hot air from the cabinet to keep it cool and rack-mounted fan units move air around the cabinet in whichever direction is required.
- Security: Lockable doors can be used to prevent unauthorised access.
- Cable management: Items such as cable tidy bars, cable trays, and brush strip panels keep cables stored neatly out of the way.
- Shelves: To hold extra equipment, shelves are available in a range of options including ventilated, fixed and telescopic shelving.
- Power distribution units: Available in both standard and intelligent models.