Sewing Machine Buying Guide
If you want to make your own clothing and other designs from fabric, you can purchase your own sewing machine. There are many different types of sewing machines that are available. On eBay, you can find a large variety of machines at all different price points, which makes buying them an easy experience.What are some relevant features?
- Presser foot pressure Some sewing machines have pre set pressure that is applied to fabrics, which limits the amount of stitches or types of fabrics that can be used. Adjustable pressure gives you more options.
- Automatic needle threader Those who struggle with threading a needle will appreciate this feature, which will save them the difficulty of putting the thread through the small needle.
- Size and weight When selecting a machine, you will have to decide between a larger machine with possibly more functionality and one that is more compact and easier to store.
- Automatic buttonhole This feature spares users the frustration of having to manually make buttonholes and sew them into the fabric.
- Stitch function Sewing machines come loaded with a variety of pre set stitches. You can make different stitch patterns from these, and this is called the stitch function.
Some sewing machines have computerized LED screens where you can see the exact settings that are in use on the machine. This helps you adjust the settings with more precision. Some of the most advanced machines have USB ports that allow the machine to connect to the internet to download new stitch patterns.How fast can sewing machines work?
Sewing machines can generally do between 700 and 900 stitches per minute. The highest end models are capable of making over 1,000 stitches per minute. There are speed reducers available if you need to slow things down for a more precise stitch.What are some available brands of sewing machines available?
Some of the available models include:
- Austin AS700 This budget friendly model has 22 self select Automatic Stitch settings and twin needle sewing.
- Singer S14 78 This machine has 12 total stitch types and two, three, or four thread overlock.
- Bernina Bernette B35 This model has a total of 23 stitches and a one step buttonhole. This machine also has an automatic bobbin winder.
- Brother Innov is 750E This is a top of the line model, which is a computerized machine. It has a memory stick as well as USB functions.