Transit SWB Vans: The Best-Selling Cargo Van for a Reason
Ford Transit SWB (short wheelbase) vans are light commercial vehicles that are also made available as minibuses, passenger vans, pickup trucks, or just cutaway van chassis. With more than 8,000,000 Transits sold across the world, the Transit van is one of the all-time best-sellers in its category. Check out the new and used Transit vans on eBay.Platform generations of SWB Transit vans
- First generation (1965-1986): This generation of Transit vans were produced for the longest period, remaining largely untouched for 12 years. After having stayed in production for more than two decades, they were fully replaced in 1986 by the VE6 platform variants.
- Second generation (1986-2003): The second-gen Transits came with a fresh bodyshell and a changed front suspension. This generation of Transits had their first facelift in 1995.
- Third generation (2000-2014): Introduced in 2000, these Transits had more modern styling and an all-new design. The major innovation came in the form of the rear- or front-wheel drive options.
- Fourth generation (2013–present): These models exhibit a design shift, to kinetic design from the previous models’ edgy styling. Besides changes in body configuration, newer trims and engine revisions have been done too.
The Ford Transit, keeping with tradition, is available in multiple configurations. The base options include panel vans, crew cabs, tipper trucks, chassis cabs, and minibuses that can be further customised to suit your requirements. Including roof height and wheelbase choices, there are approximately 450 Ford Transit variants.How driver-safe and tech-savvy are Transit SWB vans?
The newer Transit range offers updated safety kit and tech, along with improvements in driving dynamics. The Transit Base and Transit Trend (two major trim levels) come with electric windows, remote central locking, dual passenger seat, four-way adjustable driving seat, sliding side doors, and full bulkhead. The Trend variant adds exterior features, such as fancy wheel trims, projector-style headlamps, fog lamps, leather steering wheel, cruise control, extra cabin storage, electric mirrors, etc. Besides all the advanced safety net, new Transits also get side, front, and curtain airbags.Load management and safety on Transit SWB vans
Ford has done everything it could to keep loads and also personal belongings safe on the Transit.
- Anti-tamper locks and remote central locking are standard on modern Transits. Even the doors lock automatically as the van drives off.
- There are a couple of optional alarm setups, which include a perimeter alarm and the more advanced Thatcham Category 1 alarm system.
- The Transit’s load area usability has been enhanced too. Minor features, such as the robust plastic floor covers and bright LED lighting help, as does the rear bumper’s wide step cut.