Get Back in the Game with a USB Adapter
All USB devices have a specific fitting associated with their design. There is such a wide variety available, all with different features, that an expanded range of accessories has become necessary. To help maintain the functionality of your devices, eBay offers a broad range of USB adapters at a variety of prices.What is the association between USB cables, hubs, and adapters?
USB is the interface of choice for nearly all electronic devices. To ensure that they are interactive and effective, you will need a cable. A hub and an adapter might also be useful when considering effective operation. The link between them is as follows:
- Cable: This is the charging wire that each device needs to be able to power up or transfer data. There are a wide variety of cable connectors, although each will have a standard USB plug to allow connection.
- Hubs: This expands one USB port into multiple ports. Just like a four or six bar household power strip, it offers use of multiple devices from one host system.
- Adapter: This takes one type of USB connection and allows it to be used with an otherwise incompatible port. For example, if you need to transfer data between two devices but the port and connector are not designed to fit, an adapter will allow the link to be made.
The numbers denote speed, so a USB 3.0 has a faster transfer rate than a USB 2.0. The 2.0 has a transfer rate of 480 Mbps, while the 3.0 has up to 4.8 Gbps. The port and connector are the same, but the cable will be of a differing quality. You can plug a USB 3.0 into a USB 2.0 port, but the speeds will be limited to the slowest component. You should always check the manufacturer’s website for model compatibility.What do the letters mean?
Developed in the 1990s, the original USB specification defined only two types: A and B. Since then, the range of connectors have expanded widely and each type is defined by the size and shape of the connector. Some of the most common are:
- USB A type: Found on host controllers, such as computers and hubs.
- USB B type: Designed for use on peripheral devices, such as cameras and printers.
- USB C type: Has a symmetrical design and supports data transfer up to 10Gbit/s.
- USB Mini: Used with mobile devices, such as GPS units, phones, and PDAs.