Austin Seven Classic Cars: An Inspiration for the Global Auto Industry
The Austin Seven is a small and lightweight car that will take you back in time to when driving motor vehicles was an adventure. If you like classic cars for their unique design and style, check out the various models of the Austin 7 for sale on eBay.
Timeline of important developments for the Austin Seven classic car
The Austin 7 created the foundation for British small cars that were released after it. The impact the car had on the UK automobiles market can be likened to Model T’s influence on the US auto market.
- The earliest Austin 7 models were released in 1922, which were equipped with 700cc engines.
- In 1923, electric starter motors and larger 747cc engines were introduced.
- The four-speed gearbox was introduced in 1932.
- In 1936, Austin 7 engines were upgraded to three primary bearings.
- The last Austin 7 car rolled off its production line in 1939.
The Impact of Austin Seven classic cars on the market outside the UK
Austin 7 was copied, mostly under license, by several automakers across the globe.
- The BMW Dixi, the first BMW car, was basically a licensed Austin Seven.
- In France, the Austin 7 was manufactured and sold under the Rosengarts name.
- Nissan, in Japan, used the Seven’s design as a base for its initial set of cars, but not under any license. This, in due course, led to an agreement with Nissan in 1952 so that the Austin Seven could be sold in Japan under its original name.
- After World War II, several Austin Sevens were remade as “specials”.
What are Austin Seven classic cars like on the road?
The Austin Seven was built as a coupe, saloon, sports car, cabriolet, commercial or single-seat racer, with bodies made from steel or aluminium, wood, and fabric. In its original form, the three-speed Austin 7 is relatively decent, with little to complain about regarding the performance, directional stability, and brakes. The later versions and the modified ones outshined the original in various departments, as every new and upgraded version of a product does.
How easily available are Austin Seven classic car’s parts?
Though being around for several decades, the Austin 7 is still a solid proposition because of parts availability. Both spares and expert advice are in good supply. You can find a variety of new, reconditioned, and used parts for your Austin 7. If something goes wrong with your Austin 7, you can rest assured that the issue is not an isolated one. This means running costs would not be exorbitant. Insurance costs are also reasonable and readily available.