About Everton - Sports Memorabilia
The St Domingo's Methodist Church formed a football club in Liverpool in 1878, before changing the name to reflect the community involvement with the club the following year to Everton FC. In 1888 the Football League was founded, with Everton one of the original clubs. The club played matches in the south-east corner of Stanley Park in Liverpool from 1879, followed by a patch of land on nearby Priory Road, before moving again to Anfield. In 1892, a dispute between the Everton committee and the landowner, John Houlding forced the club to vacate Anfield and move to a new ground, Goodison Park.
Everton FC's playing kit has changed considerably over the years, from white to blue and white strips, then black. Deemed too morbid, a scarlet sash was later added. By 1892, the club played in salmon pink and dark blue striped shirts, dark blue shorts, and then changed to ruby shirts and dark blue shorts. In 1901 the more familiar royal blue shirts and white shorts were adopted. Everton were the first club to play wearing back numbers when they appeared in the 1933 FA Cup Final.
Everton FC memorabilia includes signed shirts and photographs; old match programmes and tickets, some of which fetch high prices. Match worn kit varies in value, but when used for significant matches and embroidered specifically for the game can attract large bids. Old enamelled badges bearing the original club badge are rare items, but the modern pin badge is also collected by fans, especially as pin badges are produced for virtually every match, depicting the teams' opponents and the season.
Scarves and hats form the traditional Everton merchandise, along with replica shirts, but the range also includes polo shirts, coats, jackets, training wear and gifts. Key fobs, car stickers, glasses cases, boot bags and drinks glasses are all emblazoned with the club logo and make ideal presents for Everton supporters.