You’re under no obligation to buy items you’ve added to your shopping basket, but keep in mind that items in your basket can still be bought by other members until you've completed checkout.
How to add an item to your shopping basket
To add an item to your shopping basket - opens in new window or tab, simply select Add to basket beneath the Buy it now button on any fixed-price listing.
To view the items you've previously placed in your basket, select the basket icon at the top right-hand corner of the eBay site. You can then select Go to checkout or Continue shopping.
Listings for motors, auction-style listings without a Buy it now option, and Classified Ad listings can't be added to the shopping basket.
Paying for items in your shopping basket
Generally, you can pay for all of the items in your basket together, even if they're from different sellers. Simply select Go to checkout.
If you'd rather pay one seller at a time, select Pay only this seller.
There are a few situations where you'll have to check out separately:
- If you're buying from different sellers who don't accept the same payment method, you'll have to make separate payments
- If you're buying items listed in different currencies, you'll have to make separate payments
- If the seller hasn't specified postage costs for your location, select Message to seller on the checkout page to ask them for postage options
- If the seller hasn't specified rules for combining postage costs on multiple items, select Request total on the basket page to ask them for postage options
- If you'd rather pay one seller at a time, select Pay only this seller
- For each item you don’t want to purchase straight away, but would like to keep track of, select Save for later
How to remove an item from your basket
If you're no longer interested in an item in your basket, select Remove next to the item. You also have the option to Save for later if you'd still like to keep track of it.
Saved items can be viewed further down the shopping basket page, and you can easily add them back to your basket by selecting Add to basket.
If an item disappears from your basket
There are a number of reasons why an item could be automatically removed from your basket. For example:
- Someone else may have purchased the item
- The seller or eBay may have ended the listing early, or it naturally expired
- If the item was listed in an auction-style format with a Buy It Now option, someone else may have placed a bid
- You may have added the item to your basket on a different eBay site
- The seller may have changed their buyer requirements