In order to ensure a positive experience for all eBay users, the delivery service detailed in the listing and chosen by the buyer should be provided.
What is the policy?
Sellers must post items within the handling time stated in their listing, using the delivery service the buyer selected at checkout. They must:
- Review the cost and speed of postage before offering a delivery service
- Specify clearly when the item will be sent
- Post items within the handling time specified in the listing
- Only include postage charges that are actually incurred by the seller and are related to the cost of posting and handling the items being delivered
- Actual cost paid to the delivery service
- Handling costs, including the cost of packaging materials and insurance
- The actual cost of delivery confirmation or extra services, such as certificate of mailing, certified mail, collect delivery, delivery confirmation, registered mail, restricted delivery, return receipt, signature confirmation, special handling, or similar services
- Follow any category restrictions for maximum postage costs
- Upload accurate tracking details. The tracking number uploaded must match the delivery location provided in the listing
- Mark the item "dispatched" once it has been sent
Sellers must not:
- Use a slower delivery service than the one selected by the buyer
- Include any additional fees for handling and packaging when offering free postage
- Delay postage, even if PayPal has not made funds immediately available
To receive an automatic 5-star DSR rating for postage, sellers must provide free postage with same day or 1 business day handling, except when listing in the following categories, which do not have specific handling time requirements:
- Classified Ads
- Property Ads
- Motor Vehicle categories
- Specialty services
Please note that orders with a total order cost (total of item(s), postage and tax) of £450 or more require signature confirmation in order to be protected if the buyer reports they didn't receive the item. Learn more about signature confirmation requirements.
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps meet buyer expectations, protect seller performance, reduce defect rates, and increase buyer satisfaction.