To ensure you don't have an advantage over others, we have some additional policy guidelines below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bid and buy in the same way as any other member?
Yes, but you can't benefit from any information that non-employees can't access. For example, if you have access to see hidden reserve prices, you can't bid on reserve price items unless the reserve price has been met or you use Buy it now, or another fixed price method.
Similarly, if you have access to Best Offer amounts, you can't submit a Best Offer if another member has already submitted one.
Can I participate in the eBay discussion boards?
Yes, but you need to make it clear that you work for eBay. You should also state that your comments are personal and clarify that you're not posting on behalf of eBay.
Can I use my work email address when I'm buying or selling on eBay?
No, when you're buying and selling on eBay, you need to use a personal email address.
Read our full policy
eBay employee trading and community content policy overview
When eBay employees buy and sell on eBay, they need to follow the same rules as eBay members who don't work for eBay. The guidelines below help clarify the things that eBay employees need to keep in mind when buying and selling on eBay.
Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?
- Any offer to buy or sell items by an eBay employee is made solely for the employee's own personal use and not on behalf of eBay
- eBay employees are held to the highest standards of conduct on our websites and need to follow the terms of all eBay websites
- Employees are subject to all fees and policies for using the services of all eBay websites
- eBay employees need to use a personal, non-company email address to buy and sell on eBay websites
- When eBay employees submit community content as members, not as employees, they need to identify themselves as eBay employees and state that the content reflects their personal views and isn't written on behalf of eBay
- Content posted by eBay employees acting in an official eBay capacity will normally be identified by a different treatment from content published by members; for example, a pink bar highlighting the username
- eBay employees who have access rights on the eBay system to hidden reserve prices can't bid on reserve price items, except under the following conditions:
- The reserve price has been met
- They choose to buy using Buy it now or another fixed price method
- eBay employees who have access rights on the eBay system to Best Offer amounts can't submit a Best Offer on an item if at least one Best Offer has already been submitted by another member
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay's marketplace is built on a foundation of trust for all members–including eBay employees.