We take great care to protect the health and safety of our members. Our hazardous, restricted, or regulated materials policy reflects this commitment to eBay user safety by strictly adhering to government regulations on the transportation of dangerous goods.
What is the policy?
Most hazardous materials are prohibited on eBay.
The following are not allowed:
- Poisons and carcinogenic substances
- Dinitrophenol (DNP) in any of its forms, either as a pure substance or active ingredient of any product (such as weight-loss supplements)
- Fire extinguishers that contain carbon tetrachloride
- Non-government-approved refrigerants
- Radioactive materials
- Corrosive substances and products containing such substances
- Combustible materials like black powder, caps for toy guns, explosive fuses, fireworks, exploding targets, flares, flash paper, red phosphorous, gasoline, thermite
- Explosives precursors including aluminium powder, ammonium nitrate, calcium ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, hydrogen peroxide above 12% weight by weight (carbamide peroxide above 34% by weight), magnesium nitrate hexahydrate, magnesium powder, nitric acid, nitromethane, nitro-fuel, potassium chlorate, potassium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sodium azide, sodium chlorate, sodium nitrate, sodium perchlorate, sulphuric acid and urea nitrate
- Hazardous materials banned by a selected delivery provider (Sellers should check with them before listing an item)
- Methylene chloride (dichloromethane) and paint or coating-removal products that contain it, such as Formby’s Furniture Refinisher
The following are restricted:
- If the material can be sent by standard postage services and is not prohibited by local laws or regulations, then it can be listed
- If hazardous materials have specific postage restrictions required by the delivery provider, these must be outlined in the item description
- All hazardous chemicals (substances and mixtures) must be classified, labelled and packaged according to the CLP Regulation (EC) No. 1272/2008 - opens in new window or tab. Sellers are required to display the product’s hazard pictogram, statement and signal word within the listing
You can find important information about regulations concerning some of the hazardous materials mentioned in this policy in the Home Office’s guidance on supplying explosives precursors and poisons - opens in new window or tab.
Activity on eBay is required to:
- Follow all applicable laws
- Respect the rights of third parties
- Follow the eBay User Agreement
- Follow this eBay policy
If activity doesn’t meet these requirements, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: administratively ending listings or cancelling transactions, hiding or lowering the placement of listings in search results, lowering seller rating, restricting buying or selling, forfeiture of fees, loss of buyer or seller protections, restricting access to member communication and rating tools, removing feedback, and account suspension.
Visit Seller Help - opens in new window or tab to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps sellers follow important government regulations.