Our policy for the sale of medical drugs aims to make sure that any listings in this category meet strict health and safety regulations.
What is the policy?
- Private sellers are not allowed to sell medicines
- Tooth whitening products that contain greater than 0.1% of hydrogen peroxide, carbamide peroxide, zinc peroxide or other compounds that release hydrogen peroxide. For more information please see the General Dental Council for the UK and the Irish Dental Association for Ireland
- Most GSL, or OTC, products in a form the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) defines as not requiring a prescription from, or supervision of, a licensed practitioner to dispense, may be sold by business sellers provided they meet the following conditions:
- They are delivered to the buyer prior to its expiration date
- The packaging is intact
- The item has not been tampered with
- The item has been stored safely prior to shipment
- The listing includes the ingredients, how to use the product, side effects/hazards/cautions, use-by date and storage instructions
- The products are classified as GSL and have obtained the relevant marketing authorisation for sale in the UK
- Any applicable legal requirements must be complied with. Business sellers offering medicines for sale on eBay are required to be registered with the MHRA, and must display the EU Distance Selling Logo and the link to the MHRA Register of authorised online sellers of medicines page on each listing offering medicines.
- Food for special medical purposes may be sold, provided warning labelling remains intact and the item complies with appropriate local laws and regulations
- Herbal, holistic, or drug-like remedies can't imply any non-government-approved treatments, or be compared to any prescription drug
- It is not allowed to claim any health benefits from legal substances that the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) hasn't approved
- Veterinary medicines classified as GSL, or OTC by the VMD (Veterinary Medicines Directorate) - opens in new window or tab may be sold, however, any medication product listed below is not allowed:
- Does not have a marketing authorisation for sale in the UK or Ireland
- Requires a prescription defined by the VMD
- Any injectable substances, including vitamins, and regardless of whether they're available over the counter
- Repackaged over-the-counter medications, including flea and tick medications
- Any Frontline flea control products
- Sentinel, Revolution, Heartgard, and Interceptor heartworm medicines
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We don't allow the listing of prescription drugs, and restrict the listing of other drugs, to protect the safety of our members, and to follow government regulations.
MHRA's contact details are:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 020 3080 6844
For more information on products making false health claims, see the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPRS), specifically Banned practice 17.