What is the policy?
Cancelling a transaction, and selecting a false reason to avoid a defect, is not allowed.
To cancel a transaction, the seller must:
- Notify the buyer of the cancellation reason
- Cancel the transaction within 30 days of the sale
- Use the correct process in My eBay or Seller Hub:
- Go to My eBay > Sold and locate the item. From the More actions drop-down menu, select Cancel this order. Or;
- Go to Seller Hub and locate the item. From the Actions drop-down menu, select End
- Choose an accurate reason for the cancellation, and follow the on-screen instructions
- Sellers must also provide valid and accurate tracking:
- Upload the correct tracking details within the handling time in the listing. Sellers who provide invalid or fake tracking information, or change tracking consistently, may be investigated for gaming our policies
- Only mark the item as ‘dispatched’ once it has been sent
- The tracking number uploaded after the item has sold must match the delivery location provided in the listing
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps set buyer expectations about when they will receive their items, avoids defects, and protects seller performance standings.