All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first novel to win both the Prix Goncourt and Prix Medicis
- Author BiographyAndrei Makine was born in Krasnoyarsk in Siberia in 1957, but sought asylum in France in 1987. While initially sleeping rough in Paris he was writing his first novel, A HERO'S DAUGHTER, which was eventually published in 1990 after Makine pretended it had been translated from the Russian, since no publisher believed he could have written it in French. With his third novel, ONCE UPON A RIVER LOVE, he was finally published as a 'French' writer, and with his fourth, LE TESTAMENT FRANCAIS, he became the first author to win both of France's top literary prizes, the Prix Goncourt and Prix Medicis. Since then Andrei Makine has written THE CRIME OF OLGA ARBYELINA, REQUIEM FOR THE EAST, A LIFE'S MUSIC, which won the Grand Prix RTL-Lire, and THE EARTH AND SKY OF JACQUES DORME.
- PrizesWinner of Prix Goncourt 1997 and Le Prix Medicis 1997 and Prix Goncourt 1995.
- Author(s)Andrei Makine
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication16/10/1997
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date14/08/2010
- Weight203 g
- Width130 mm
- Height17 mm
- Spine198 mm
- Translated byGeoffrey Strachan
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.24Trending at £4.43
- £8.36Trending at £15.33
- £4.55Trending at £6.74
- £6.09Trending at £6.29
- £10.97Trending at £13.47
- £3.80Trending at £4.52
- £4.79Trending at £6.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.