All listings for this product
Best-selling in Dictionaries & Reference
Save on Dictionaries & Reference
- £14.99Trending at £18.61
- £15.27Trending at £15.72
- £7.99Trending at £9.98
- £13.23Trending at £15.89
- £4.54Trending at £4.64
- £8.90Trending at £12.49
- £11.20Trending at £12.07
About this product
- DescriptionBased on letters to the Oxford Word and Language Service , this book deals with hundreds of notes and queries from the everyday to the bizarre, including sections on What is the origin of ...? , Is this correct? , What does this mean? and Is there a word for ...? .
- Author BiographyAbout the Editors: Jeremy Marshall and Mrs. Fred McDonald are experienced lexicographers who, in addition to their work on The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, are both long-standing contributors to the Oxford Word and Language Service. Excerpt Q In my business I use large catering packs of flour, which have the word ENDOLETED on the label. I would very much like to know what it means. You probably won't like to know; this is one of those occasions when 'ignorance is bliss'. Flour that has been endoleted has been spun in a large drum with ridges on the inside surface, in order to break up any insect eggs and prevent them from hatching out while the flour is in storage. Bon appetit!
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/1995
- GenreUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Out-of-print date09/01/1997
- Content Notecartoons, bibliography
- Weight384 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byFred McDonald,Jeremy Marshall
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.