All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJan Owen's masterly translation captures all of Baudelaire's passion and anguish in a selection that includes many of Baudelaire's best known poems - including those banned from 1857 edition - as well as some less familiar ones, with the volume leading up to his great long poem, 'The Voyage', and finishing with the much-loved sonnet 'Meditation'.
- Author BiographyCharles Baudelaire's work is of immense importance in world literature. With his urban attitude and subject matter, and his blending and balancing of the romantic and classical traditions, he was the forerunner of modernism, the first truly confessional poet, speaking in his own voice in all he wrote. 'Father of modern poetry', he was also a visionary art critic, the progenitor of the prose poem, a pioneer of symbolism, and the influential translator of Edgar Allan Poe. Although popularly known as a poet of decadence because of his treatment in poetry of new and often disturbing subject matter - sex, drugs, death, self-disgust, sin and satanism, it was the ideal of beauty that was his guiding principle, and his work has an uncompromising allegiance to truth.
- Author(s)Charles Baudelaire
- PublisherArc Publications
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- Language(s)fre, eng
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleArc Classic Translations
- Place of PublicationLancs
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArc Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Translated byJan Owen
Best-selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £7.30Trending at £9.99
- £12.50Trending at £13.42
- £6.72Trending at £6.84
- £7.85Trending at £8.02
- £8.44Trending at £11.71
- £11.41Trending at £17.98
- £4.57Trending at £4.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.