All listings for this product
Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £22.33Trending at £23.93
- £66.16Trending at £92.94
- £9.68Trending at £10.07
- £14.25Trending at £15.00
- £16.59Trending at £25.32
- £22.22Trending at £23.53
- £10.38Trending at £10.89
About this product
- DescriptionDancer, award-winning choreographer, show producer, stand-up comedienne, TV/Film actress and author, Norma Miller shares her touching historical memoir of Harlem's legendary Savoy Ballroom and the phenomenal music and dance craze that \u0022spread the power of swing across the world like Wildfire.\u0022 A dance contest winner by 14, Norma Miller became a member of Herbert White's Lindy Hoppers and a celebrated Savoy Ballroom Lindy Hop champion. Swingin' at the Savoy chronicles a significant period in American cultural history and race relations, as it glorifies the home of the Lindy Hop and he birthplace of memorable dance hall fads. Miller shares fascinating anecdotes about her youthful encounters with many of the greatest jazz legends in music history, including Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, Ethel Waters, and even boxer Joe Louis. Readers will experience the legend of the celebrated Harlem ballroom and the phenomenal Swing generation that changed music and dance history forever.
- Author BiographyNorma Miller began her career as a choreographer by forming the Norma Miller Jazz Dancers and appeared in Olsen and Johnson's Broadway stage production of Hellzapoppin' for five years. In addition to being a stand-up comedienne, Miller has made numerous TV appearances, including the CBS movie, Stompin' at the Savoy, which earned her an Emmy nomination for choreography. She has also performed in the films A Day at the Races, Malcolm X, and Captiva, and has been the subject of many documentaries, including National Geographic's Explorer and the Smithsonian jazz series on national radio.Evette Jensen is a freelance writer.
- Author(s)Norma Miller
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication29/09/2000
- GenreBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.