All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrandfather, son and grandson are equally dependent on the empire: the first for his enoblement; the second for the civil virtues that make him a meticulous servant of an administration whose failure he can neither comprehend nor survive; the third for the family standards of conduct which he cannot attain but against which he is unable to rebel.
- Author BiographyJoseph Roth was born in 1894 into a Jewish family living in the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, part of the Austro-Hungarian empire and now split between Poland and Ukraine. He became a successful journalist and travelled widely, eventually becoming best-known for his novels The Radetzky March (also in Penguin Modern Classics), The Emperor's Tomb and The Legend of the Holy Drinker . He died in Paris in 1939.
- Author(s)Joseph Roth
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2016
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Modern Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight269 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Translated byJoachim Neugroschel
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.11Trending at £4.53
- £3.60Trending at £7.06
- £4.02Trending at £4.52
- £10.01Trending at £12.07
- £5.74Trending at £5.84
- £4.99Trending at £9.65
- £2.50Trending at £3.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.