CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £17.73Trending at £20.11
- £9.22Trending at £9.33
- £24.56Trending at £25.98
- £26.45Trending at £27.79
- £19.99Trending at £23.85
- £28.00Trending at £30.30
- £15.72Trending at £15.97
About this product
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/03/2015
- GenreSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight884 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Edited byJohn Shepherd,Kyle Devine
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction: Music and the Sociological Imagination - Pasts and Prospects John Shepherd and Kyle Devine Part I. Source Readings: Forerunners and Founding Figures 1. The Origin and Function of Music Herbert Spencer 2. Psychological and Ethnological Studies on Music Georg Simmel 3. Rational and Social Foundations of Music Max Weber 4. Musical Taste and How It Is Formed John H. Mueller 5. Making Music Together: A Study in Social Relationship Alfred Schutz 6. Sociology of Music Theodor Adorno Part II: Approaches, Sites and Debates A) The Music Itself 7. Music as Social Meaning Susan McClary 8. Music, the Body and Signifying Practice John Shepherd 9. Music and the Sociological Gaze Peter Martin B) Creation 10. Ethnography and Interaction David Grazian 11. Performance Perspectives Lisa McCormick 12. Production Perspectives Marco Santoro C) Consumption 13. Identity: Music, Community and Self Andy Bennett 14. Taste as Distinction Richard Peterson 15. Taste as Performance Antoine Hennion Part III. Politics, Social Issues and Musical Cultures 16. Resistance and Social Movements Eric Drott 17. Gender and Sexuality Marion Leonard 18. Race and Hip Hop Antony Kwame Harrison 19. World Music and Cultural Globalization: Pop-Rock and Musical Cosmopolitanism Motti Regev 20. Music Criticism and Taste Cultures Morton Michelsen 21. Art Music and Social Class William Weber 22. Cityscapes Sara Cohen 23. The Body and Dance Mary Fogarty Part IV: Industries and Institutions 24. Recorded Music Dave Laing 25. Live Music Simon Frith 26. Cultural Policy and Creative Industries Adam Behr 27. Copyright Lee Marshall Part V: Technology and Mediation 28. Instruments and Innovation Trevor Pinch and Karin Bijsterveld 29. Radio Christina Baade 30. Music and the Moving Image: A Case Study of Hans Zimmer Benjamin Wright 31. Digitalization Paul Theberge Part VI: New Directions 32. After Adorno Tia DeNora 33. Bourdieu and Beyond Nick Prior 34. Mediation Theory Georgina Born 35. From Signification to Affect Jeremy Gilbert List of Contributors
- Author BiographyJohn Shepherd is Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (Academic) at Carleton University in Ottawa, where he is also Chancellor's Professor of Music and Sociology. Kyle Devine is Lecturer in Music at City University London and a research associate with the Music and Digitization Research Group at the University of Oxford.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.