We recommend regularly updating your password to help keep your account secure. We'll email you if a new device or browser is used to sign in to your account that hasn't been used to access your account before. If you don't recognise the login details, you should change your password and contact us to let us know.
Resetting your password if you've forgotten it
If you've forgotten your password select the Reset your password button below:
For security, we'll ask you to verify yourself by email or text. If you choose email verification and don't receive a message within 5 minutes, check your spam or junk folders.
Changing your password for security reasons
If you know your current password and want to change it, select the Change your password button below:
You can also change your password in the Account section of My eBay. Here's how:
- Go to Sign in and security - opens in new window or tab.
- Select Edit next to Password.
- Enter your current password and your new password.
- Select Submit.
For more ways to protect your account, see our tips for keeping your eBay account secure - opens in new window or tab.
Remember to sign in with your new password if you use the eBay app as well.
Troubleshooting if you have problems changing your password
If you’ve tried the steps above and you’re experiencing problems changing or resetting your password, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure Caps Lock is off when you’re typing your new password
- Clear your cache and cookies
- Check that your browser isn’t automatically populating the password field with an old password. If this is happening, manually type in your new password, or turn off auto-fill in your browser settings
If you’ve tried to change your password more than 5 times in the last 24 hours, you’ll need to wait 24 hours before trying again.