We strongly recommend removing any active content in your existing listings, as it will no longer be visible to buyers, and your listings won't be appearing as you originally intended.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I'm using active content?
You can find out if your current listings contain active content with our active content checker - opens in new window or tab.
What happens if I try to use active content?
Read our full policy
Activity on eBay is required to follow this policy, the eBay User Agreement and all applicable laws, as well as respect the rights of third parties. If it doesn’t, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: Removing the listing or other content, issuing a warning, restricting activity or account suspension.
- Calls remote scripts and pages automatically
- Changes registry entries or otherwise writes to another person's computer hard drive
- Creates automatic pop-ups except for links that open in a new window when clicked on
- Is used to drop or read a cookie on any eBay page
- Loads any binary program on another person's computer automatically
- Launches a song or video when a listing is opened
- Overwrites any area in the listing outside of the item description area
- Manipulates areas outside the listing description, including changing fonts, colours and backgrounds in areas such as eBay headers and footers
- Posts to scripts on eBay automatically
- Redirects the user from eBay to another web page, such as using the 'replace' script
Visit Seller Help - opens in new window or tab to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
To help keep our website working the way we designed it to, we don't allow using scripts that manipulate or change the way the site and its features operate, and we don't render active content.