What is the policy?
The following or similar types of knives aren't allowed:
- Multi-tool knives, craft knives, Stanley knives and Leathermans
- Pocket knives, folding knives, Swiss Army knives and clasp knives
- Sharp kitchen knives (as in pair blocks), cake knives, carving knives, pairing knives, oyster knives and electric knives
- Stealth, throwing, ballistic, grivory and rubber knives
- Illegal knives such as:
- butterfly knives (also known as 'balisongs') - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
- hidden or disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
- flick knives (also known as 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives') - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
- gravity knives
- a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
- zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
- swords, including samurai swords
- sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
- push daggers
The following knives are allowed:
- Dining cutlery sets that include knives used for eating
- Letter openers
- Razor blades and surgical blades
- Tools such as chisels, axes, saws and hoof trimming tools
The listing must also follow our international trading policy. For example, the sale of knives on eBay.ie is prohibited with limited exceptions.
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We take our role in community safety seriously. You can find more information on this Government website.