How postage discounts work
You can offer postage discounts to buyers who buy more than one item from you, but first, you need to opt in to offering combined postage. You can then set up rules that automatically apply to the delivery cost when someone buys multiple items. This ensures that discounts are applied when the buyer checks out, as opposed to you having to send a revised invoice after the sale.
Depending on whether you offer a flat postage rate, or are using calculated postage, these discounts work slightly differently.
Here's how to check that combined payments are enabled on your account:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Allow combined payments and postage.
- Choose the time period during which you're willing to combine payment for purchased items and select Save.
Flat rate postage rules
If you're offering a flat rate postage cost, where all buyers pay the same amount, you can apply two different types of postage rules:
- Add a fixed amount for each additional item purchased. For example, if the postage cost on the first item is £5 you could choose to charge just £2 in postage for each additional purchase
- Subtract an amount from the postage charge for each additional item purchased. In the same example as above you could choose to charge £1 less than the initial cost (i.e., £4) for each additional purchase
Here's how to create a flat postage rule:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Flat postage rule.
- From the dropdown menu, choose whether to add or subtract an amount for each additional item purchased.
- Enter the amount to add/subtract.
- Select Save.
Promotional postage discount rules
While flat rate and calculated postage rules are applied when a buyer goes through checkout, you can also use postage rules as a promotional tool to help attract additional buyers.
With promotional postage discounts, you can create a rule that offers your buyers a discount based on the conditions you set. For example, buyers will be charged no more than £5 for postage if they buy more than one item. Or, buyers will qualify for free postage if they spend more than £25.
When buyers qualify for your promotional postage discount, the promotional rule takes priority over your existing flat and calculated postage rules.
Promotional postage rules apply to all listings which you've specified have a combined postage discount.
Buyers will be able to see these discounts highlighted in your listings.
Here's how to set up a promotional postage discount:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Promotional postage rule.
- Fill in your conditions and select Save.
Make sure you've applied combined postage rules to all listings where you want to offer a discount.
How to apply postage discount rules to your listings
If you're using the business tool, you can apply a postage discount rule by selecting Apply my promotional postage rule when you're creating a listing. You can also add a new rule to any current listing by going to the active listings - opens in new window or tab page, selecting Revise, and choosing Apply my promotional postage rule.