For this reason, and to comply with local legal restrictions, some categories of products are restricted, or completely banned from being listed.
If you're not sure if an item you're intending to list is allowed or not, choose the relevant category from the list below to find out.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find out what items are allowed on eBay?
If you're not sure whether your item can be listed on eBay, check our list of prohibited and restricted items below.
What do I do if I see an item that isn't allowed?
If you see a listing that violates one of our policies, report it by clicking Report item in the listing.
Read our full policy
Prohibited and restricted items policy overview
Before listing your item, make sure we allow it on eBay, and find out if we have specific rules and conditions on how you should list it. Check the list of prohibited and restricted items below. You also need to make sure that the sale of your item complies with all laws.
Make sure your listings and products follow these guidelines. If they don't, they may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
Understanding the rules
Our policies are often based on country and state laws, although in some cases, we may also base our policies on input from our members and our own discretion, especially for dangerous or sensitive items.
Read and understand our policies before listing items. Follow our guidelines and review our examples so you know beforehand what you can and can't sell on eBay.
When selling internationally, read our international trading policy. Although certain items may be legal to sell in your country, they might be illegal elsewhere.
The list of prohibited and restricted items below covers items you can list under certain conditions, and items that we don't allow at all. In our medical drugs and devices policy, for example, while we don't allow many items (such as contact lenses), we do allow other items under certain conditions (including certain types of medical instruments).
Prohibited and restricted items
- Academic, beta, and OEM software
- Adult only category
- Animals and wildlife products
- Artefacts, archives, antiques, cultural items and grave-related items
- Autographed items
- Bootleg recordings
- Chance listings
- Charity and fundraising
- Complilation and informational items
- Counterfeit currency and stamps
- Credit and debit cards
- Currency, selling
- Digitally delivered goods
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia
- Electrical and electronics equipment - examples include cable TV decoders, radar jamming devices, and traffic light control devices
- Embargoed goods and prohibited countries - examples include items from Cuba
- Enabling duplication of copy-protected material
- Encouraging illegal activity
- Event ticket resale
- Firearms, weapons, and knives - examples include pepper spray, replica firearms, and stun guns
- Gaming machines (slot or fruit machines)
- Government, transit, and postal items and official items - examples include aeroplane operations manuals, public transportation employee uniforms, and Royal Mail mailbags
- Hazardous, restricted or regulated materials - examples include batteries, fireworks and refrigerants
- Human remains and body parts
- International trading
- Items encouraging illegal activity - examples include an eBook describing how to create methamphetamine
- Lock-picking devices
- Mailing lists and personal information
- Medicine and healthcare products - examples include prescription drugs, contact lenses, pacemakers, and defibrillators
- Multi-level marketing, pyramid and matrix programs
- Offensive material - examples include ethnically or racially offensive material and Nazi memorabilia
- Perfume and cosmetics
- Personal relationships and services
- Plants and seeds
- Police-related items
- Presale listings
- Recalled items
- Recordable media
- Replicas, counterfeit items, and unauthorised copies
- Stamps, currency, and coins
- Stocks and other securities
- Stolen property
- Surveillance equipment - examples include wiretapping devices and telephone bugging devices
- Used clothing
- Used cosmetics
- Weeds (see plants and seeds)
Reporting policy violations
If you see a listing that violates one of our policies, report it by selecting Report item in the listing.
If we determine that a listing or product has violated a policy, we email the seller and the bidders or the buyer to let them know that we've removed the listing or product from eBay.