Enhanced protection for businesses
Enhanced protection for sellers
As a business seller, we know you’re already committed to providing excellent service. This is why we have extra protections to help you deal with abusive buyers or from events outside your control. We take action to protect all sellers against abusive buyers in the UK every month, and we’re constantly improving our systems to make our marketplace as safe as possible.
How to get enhanced protection
Available to all Above Standard and Top rated Sellers registered on ebay.co.uk or ebay.ie
- Don’t be rated 'Very High' in our Service metrics
- Don’t fall ‘Below Standard’ in Seller standards
- Don’t misuse protections
- Only give partial refunds to recoup the actual lost value of the item when it is returned in a different condition than you sent it
- Only report buyers for opening false ‘item not as described’ returns if you have correctly described the item
- Accept the return and give the buyer a refund
Report the buyer using the Report a Buyer function in the returns flow or in the Resolutions Centre.
Partial refunds for returned items
You can give a partial refund for items that have been returned used, damaged or with missing parts. Find out more here.
- Refunds should be based on the condition of the returned item — you can deduct up to 50% for loss of value
- We’ll remove feedback, defects, and open cases in our service metrics. We’ll also take care of any remaining issues with the buyer
- To learn more, click the play button on the image (left)
Credit for false “Not as Described” claims
You’ll receive a credit for the cost of postage when the buyer falsely claims that the item is not as described.
- If you believe the buyer made a false claim, please accept the return and then report the buyer to us
- If your report is accepted, you will receive an allowance for the return label cost on your next invoice of up to £3.50
- All negative and neutral feedback, defects and open cases resulting from a false ‘not as described’ claim will be automatically removed from our service metrics
- This is a limited protection subject to the report being accepted, and includes other factors including seller performance. Find more details here
- To learn more, click the play button on the image (right)
How do I qualify for enhanced protection for businesses?
- All Above Standard and Top rated Sellers registered on ebay.co.uk or ebay.ie are eligible for enhanced protection
- These protections apply whether you ship an item locally or internationally
What should I do if I have received a false claim?
- If a buyer makes a false claim, please accept the return and report the buyer to us. You will be credited up to £3.50 for the cost of the return on your next invoice
- We'll automatically remove any negative or neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in our service metrics
- Provide postal tracking information. If the tracking shows the item was delivered on time, you are protected
I received a return that was used and/or damaged. What should I do?
- You can deduct up to 50% for loss in value, depending on the condition of the returned item, when you refund an item that has been returned used or damaged. We'll take care of any issues with the buyer, including the removal of any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in our service metrics.